Freekeh Vegetable Soup
By shahdan • June 8, 2016
The Freekeh Vegetable Soup is healthy, filling and delicious. Freekeh is full of nutritious benefits and is now called the new supergrain. It is not new to our Arabic cuisine, however we tend to forget it. This soup is the simplest way to bring freekeh back to your table.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 cup celery (finely chopped) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1/2 cup freekeh (washed) - فريك
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 cup mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, zucchini, green beans, corn) - خضراوات مشكلة
- 4 cup vegetable stock (or chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
Step by step
- Heat the olive oil in a deep soup pot. Add the onions and celery and cook on medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the washed freekeh and cook with the onions and celery for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the hot broth and leave to cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and leave to cook for another 10 minutes or until the freekeh and vegetables are cooked.
- Adjust salt and pepper and serve hot.
Baked Fish Fillet with Dukka & Hazelnuts
This is an easy, nutty and tasty fish recipe made with Egyptian-style Dukka and crushed...
Watermelon Ice Popsicles
On a hot summer's day, what's better than a watermelon ice popsicle? Fresh green kiwi (loaded...
Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich
The Goat Cheese & Sundried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich is not only nutritious, but it is...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]