Freekeh Vegetable Soup
By shahdan • June 8, 2016
The Freekeh Vegetable Soup is healthy, filling and delicious. Freekeh is full of nutritious benefits and is now called the new supergrain. It is not new to our Arabic cuisine, however we tend to forget it. This soup is the simplest way to bring freekeh back to your table.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 cup celery (finely chopped) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1/2 cup freekeh (washed) - فريك
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 cup mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, zucchini, green beans, corn) - خضراوات مشكلة
- 4 cup vegetable stock (or chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
Step by step
- Heat the olive oil in a deep soup pot. Add the onions and celery and cook on medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the washed freekeh and cook with the onions and celery for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the hot broth and leave to cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and leave to cook for another 10 minutes or until the freekeh and vegetables are cooked.
- Adjust salt and pepper and serve hot.
Fresh Coriander & Cucumber Salad
Serve and enjoy this salad with CairoCooking's Asian dishes. With super simple ingredients, this...
The Simplest Renga Baladi
Such a simple and tasty recipe that takes us back to our childhood and still makes an amazing...
Super Tasty Super Simple Asparagus
This is the type of recipe you will find yourself doing over and over again for your everyday meals...
Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken. Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition […]
Quinoa Salad with Mint & Pomegranate Seeds
Light and refreshing, this quinoa salad tastes delicious and is packed with nutrients. It can be prepared in advance and put in the lunchbox for work, or as a side dish for dinner.
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]