Freekeh Vegetable Soup
By shahdan • June 8, 2016
The Freekeh Vegetable Soup is healthy, filling and delicious. Freekeh is full of nutritious benefits and is now called the new supergrain. It is not new to our Arabic cuisine, however we tend to forget it. This soup is the simplest way to bring freekeh back to your table.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 cup celery (finely chopped) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1/2 cup freekeh (washed) - فريك
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 cup mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, zucchini, green beans, corn) - خضراوات مشكلة
- 4 cup vegetable stock (or chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
Step by step
- Heat the olive oil in a deep soup pot. Add the onions and celery and cook on medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the washed freekeh and cook with the onions and celery for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the hot broth and leave to cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and leave to cook for another 10 minutes or until the freekeh and vegetables are cooked.
- Adjust salt and pepper and serve hot.
Baked Salmon with Fresh Herbs
In the kitchen, I'm a fan of rich flavor, but more important than that - an easy recipe, like this...
The egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried...
Soy & Ginger Bulgur Salad
The soy & ginger bulgur is an exotic and tasty salad on its own, as well as a great side dish...
Turmeric Coconut Lentil Soup
The flavors in this good-for-you Coconut Lentil Soup are simply phenomenal. With turmeric, ginger, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, this is not your traditional lentil soup. It is creamy, sweet, fragrant, and above all super-nutritious. A must-try for the cold winter season.
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!