Freekeh Vegetable Soup
By shahdan • June 8, 2016
The Freekeh Vegetable Soup is healthy, filling and delicious. Freekeh is full of nutritious benefits and is now called the new supergrain. It is not new to our Arabic cuisine, however we tend to forget it. This soup is the simplest way to bring freekeh back to your table.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 cup celery (finely chopped) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1/2 cup freekeh (washed) - فريك
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 cup mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, zucchini, green beans, corn) - خضراوات مشكلة
- 4 cup vegetable stock (or chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
Step by step
- Heat the olive oil in a deep soup pot. Add the onions and celery and cook on medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the washed freekeh and cook with the onions and celery for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the hot broth and leave to cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and leave to cook for another 10 minutes or until the freekeh and vegetables are cooked.
- Adjust salt and pepper and serve hot.
Fresh Guava & Pomegranate Dessert
الوصفة بالعربي This fruit dessert is a simple family favourite celebrating the...
No-Junk Kids’ Burger
If burger is a kids-favourite dish, why don’t we make it as healthy as we can? This burger bursts...
Caramelized Almonds Covered with Dark Chocolate
Three ingredients and you have your own customized chocolate bites... you can prepare them for your...
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]