Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
By shahdan • April 24, 2020
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
- 2 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus an extra teaspoon to grease oven dish) - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (chopped) - بصلة
- 1 large carrot (grated) - جزرة
- 3 stalks green onions (finely chopped) OPTIONAL - بصل أخضر
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 medium chicken breast (boiled or from leftover) - صدور دجاج
- 2 cup milk - لبن
- 2 cup chicken broth/stock - مرقة دجاج
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Soak the freekeh in water for one hour.
- Rinse freekeh with fresh water and place in a sieve to drain remaining water.
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Add onions and cook on low heat until soft. Add grated carrots and chopped spring onions and stir for a couple of minutes then add the freekeh. Keep stirring for a couple of more minutes.
- Season freekeh with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Brush beraam or oven dish with a little oil. Add half the freekeh.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, slice and arrange over freekeh. Finally cover the chicken with the remaining freekeh.
- Mix the milk with the chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper if needed, and pour over the freekeh.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Bake uncovered for 45-60 minutes until liquid is absorbed and the top of the beraam is golden.
Easy Shrimp Curry
Recipe in Arabicالجمبرى بالكارى This shrimp curry is not only flavoursome...
Not your traditional Fatta dish, this Chicken Shawerma Fatta will definitely impress the crowd,...
This Coconut Ashoura is pure happiness in a bowl. It is deliciously creamy, super nutritious, and...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]