Couscous Salad with Vegetables & Herbs
By shahdan • March 17, 2015
A colourful side dish, full of texture and flavour! Serve it with your favourite grilled meat or chicken for a light healthy lunch, or on its own as a vegetarian dish. It is sure to impress anyone who is bored of the daily rice and pasta options.
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1 large red bell pepper (diced) - فلفل رومي احمر
- 12 stem asparagus - الهليون
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (plus a little drizzle before serving) - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 2 cup couscous - كسكسي
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (plus 3 tbsps. of its oil) - طماطم مجففة
- 1/4 cup raisins - زبيب
- 2 large lemons (use the zest and the juice of the 2 lemons) - ليمون
- 1/2 cup parsley (chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (or to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Prepare your veggies: finely chop the onions, dice the red bell pepper and chop the asparagus diagonally into three to four sticks.
- Place the couscous in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a pot and add the onion and leave to cook for 2 minutes until it starts to soften.
- Add the diced bell pepper and stir fry with the onion for another 2 minutes.
- Finally add the chopped asparagus and stir for another minute. Make sure not to overcook the asparagus so it stays nice and green.
- Season your veggies with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water from the kettle and leave to simmer with the vegetables for another minute.
- Pour the boiling water and veggies over the bowl of couscous and cover with cling film. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff up the couscous. Season generously with salt and pepper and leave the cool.
- When cool add the sliced sun-dried tomatoes, some of its oil for flavour, raisins, lemon juice and zest and the chopped fresh parsley and stir through.
- Best served cold. Can be prepared in advance and tastes even better the next day.
- Fluff up the couscous before serving and garnish with more chopped parsley.
Warm Halva Pudding
If you are a fan of Halva (like me), you will fall in love with this sweet and simple dessert. You...
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it...
Rustic Cheese Tart
This cheese tart makes a sophisticated yet easy entertaining dish that you can prepare and bake...
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]