Citrus Couscous with Vegetables & Herbs
By shahdan • March 17, 2015
A colourful side dish, full of texture and flavour! Serve it with your favourite grilled meat or chicken for a light healthy lunch, or on its own as a vegetarian dish. It is sure to impress anyone who is bored of the daily rice and pasta options.
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1 large red bell pepper (diced) - فلفل رومي احمر
- 12 stem asparagus - الهليون
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (plus a little drizzle before serving) - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 2 cup couscous - كسكسي
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (plus 3 tbsps. of its oil) - طماطم مجففة
- 1/4 cup raisins - زبيب
- 2 large lemons (use the zest and the juice of the 2 lemons) - ليمون
- 1/2 cup parsley (chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (or to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Prepare your veggies: finely chop the onions, dice the red bell pepper and chop the asparagus diagonally into three to four sticks.
- Place the couscous in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a pot and add the onion and leave to cook for 2 minutes until it starts to soften.
- Add the diced bell pepper and stir fry with the onion for another 2 minutes.
- Finally add the chopped asparagus and stir for another minute. Make sure not to overcook the asparagus so it stays nice and green.
- Season your veggies with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water from the kettle and leave to simmer with the vegetables for another minute.
- Pour the boiling water and veggies over the bowl of couscous and cover with cling film. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff up the couscous. Season generously with salt and pepper and leave the cool.
- When cool add the sliced sun-dried tomatoes, some of its oil for flavour, raisins, lemon juice and zest and the chopped fresh parsley and stir through.
- Best served cold. Can be prepared in advance and tastes even better the next day.
- Fluff up the couscous before serving and garnish with more chopped parsley.
Annabell’s Famous Banana & Avocado Mix
From 7 months. This mixture made the infamous Annabella Karmel famous among all mothers. It is an...
The Christmas Chestnut Turkey Breast Anyone Can Prepare
الوصفه بالعربي A joyous and hassle-free Christmas turkey with sweet maple syrup and...
Crunchy French Fries with a Kick
With little twists like soaking in vinegar and seasoning with paprika, these traditional fries are...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]