Citrus Couscous with Vegetables & Herbs
By shahdan • March 17, 2015
A colourful side dish, full of texture and flavour! Serve it with your favourite grilled meat or chicken for a light healthy lunch, or on its own as a vegetarian dish. It is sure to impress anyone who is bored of the daily rice and pasta options.
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1 large red bell pepper (diced) - فلفل رومي احمر
- 12 stem asparagus - الهليون
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (plus a little drizzle before serving) - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 2 cup couscous - كسكسي
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (plus 3 tbsps. of its oil) - طماطم مجففة
- 1/4 cup raisins - زبيب
- 2 large lemons (use the zest and the juice of the 2 lemons) - ليمون
- 1/2 cup parsley (chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (or to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Prepare your veggies: finely chop the onions, dice the red bell pepper and chop the asparagus diagonally into three to four sticks.
- Place the couscous in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a pot and add the onion and leave to cook for 2 minutes until it starts to soften.
- Add the diced bell pepper and stir fry with the onion for another 2 minutes.
- Finally add the chopped asparagus and stir for another minute. Make sure not to overcook the asparagus so it stays nice and green.
- Season your veggies with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water from the kettle and leave to simmer with the vegetables for another minute.
- Pour the boiling water and veggies over the bowl of couscous and cover with cling film. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff up the couscous. Season generously with salt and pepper and leave the cool.
- When cool add the sliced sun-dried tomatoes, some of its oil for flavour, raisins, lemon juice and zest and the chopped fresh parsley and stir through.
- Best served cold. Can be prepared in advance and tastes even better the next day.
- Fluff up the couscous before serving and garnish with more chopped parsley.
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall...
Popcorn Granola Trailmix
Your kids will love this Popcorn Granola Trailmix in their lunchbox. It is also so nutritious and...
Warm Spiced Pumpkin with White Chocolate Sauce
الوصفة بالعربي If you haven't tried this festive pumkin dessert, you are missing out!...
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.