Citrus Couscous with Vegetables & Herbs
By shahdan • March 17, 2015
A colourful side dish, full of texture and flavour! Serve it with your favourite grilled meat or chicken for a light healthy lunch, or on its own as a vegetarian dish. It is sure to impress anyone who is bored of the daily rice and pasta options.
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1 large red bell pepper (diced) - فلفل رومي احمر
- 12 stem asparagus - الهليون
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (plus a little drizzle before serving) - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 2 cup couscous - كسكسي
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (plus 3 tbsps. of its oil) - طماطم مجففة
- 1/4 cup raisins - زبيب
- 2 large lemons (use the zest and the juice of the 2 lemons) - ليمون
- 1/2 cup parsley (chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (or to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Prepare your veggies: finely chop the onions, dice the red bell pepper and chop the asparagus diagonally into three to four sticks.
- Place the couscous in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a pot and add the onion and leave to cook for 2 minutes until it starts to soften.
- Add the diced bell pepper and stir fry with the onion for another 2 minutes.
- Finally add the chopped asparagus and stir for another minute. Make sure not to overcook the asparagus so it stays nice and green.
- Season your veggies with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water from the kettle and leave to simmer with the vegetables for another minute.
- Pour the boiling water and veggies over the bowl of couscous and cover with cling film. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff up the couscous. Season generously with salt and pepper and leave the cool.
- When cool add the sliced sun-dried tomatoes, some of its oil for flavour, raisins, lemon juice and zest and the chopped fresh parsley and stir through.
- Best served cold. Can be prepared in advance and tastes even better the next day.
- Fluff up the couscous before serving and garnish with more chopped parsley.
Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomatoes
The earthy flavour of lentils, the creaminess of goat cheese, and the sweetness of sun-dried...
No-Junk Kids’ Burger
If burger is a kids-favourite dish, why don’t we make it as healthy as we can? This burger bursts...
Easy Shrimp Curry
Recipe in Arabicالجمبرى بالكارى This shrimp curry is not only flavoursome...
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]