Citrus Couscous with Vegetables & Herbs
By shahdan • March 17, 2015
A colourful side dish, full of texture and flavour! Serve it with your favourite grilled meat or chicken for a light healthy lunch, or on its own as a vegetarian dish. It is sure to impress anyone who is bored of the daily rice and pasta options.
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1 large red bell pepper (diced) - فلفل رومي احمر
- 12 stem asparagus - الهليون
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (plus a little drizzle before serving) - زيت زيتون
- 2 cup boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 2 cup couscous - كسكسي
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (plus 3 tbsps. of its oil) - طماطم مجففة
- 1/4 cup raisins - زبيب
- 2 large lemons (use the zest and the juice of the 2 lemons) - ليمون
- 1/2 cup parsley (chopped) - بقدونس
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (or to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Prepare your veggies: finely chop the onions, dice the red bell pepper and chop the asparagus diagonally into three to four sticks.
- Place the couscous in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a pot and add the onion and leave to cook for 2 minutes until it starts to soften.
- Add the diced bell pepper and stir fry with the onion for another 2 minutes.
- Finally add the chopped asparagus and stir for another minute. Make sure not to overcook the asparagus so it stays nice and green.
- Season your veggies with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water from the kettle and leave to simmer with the vegetables for another minute.
- Pour the boiling water and veggies over the bowl of couscous and cover with cling film. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff up the couscous. Season generously with salt and pepper and leave the cool.
- When cool add the sliced sun-dried tomatoes, some of its oil for flavour, raisins, lemon juice and zest and the chopped fresh parsley and stir through.
- Best served cold. Can be prepared in advance and tastes even better the next day.
- Fluff up the couscous before serving and garnish with more chopped parsley.
Classic Mahalabeya (Milk Pudding)
This is an easy straight-forward recipe for classic Mahalabeya. The cream is essential because it...
Roasted Thyme Chicken & Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي Another popular Egyptian classic... A rustic oven dish with one whole...
Dill & Lemon Salmon Tagliatelle
Succulent and flaky salmon chunks are served on a bed of Italian tagliatelle and covered with a...
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]
Classic Cheese & Cucumber Sandwich with a Twist
The simple idea of thinly grating cucumber into paper-thin slices (using a basic kitchen grater) can transform the classic Cheese &Cucumber Sandwich into something much more exciting!
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.