Figs & Goat Cheese Oregano Pie
By yasmine • July 22, 2015
Fig season is here and can’t stop thinking of all the fun recipes we can prepare using figs. It is a great fruit to use in sweet as well as savoury dishes. This savoury one never fails to impress.
If you make this pie once, you will be doing it again and again since it is great for entertaining. You can also spread some arugula leaves on top before serving for an extra colour and crunch.
Thank you Maha Yacine for providing us with a French translation for this recipe. You can find the translation in the comments underneath the recipe.
- 6 figs (sliced lengthwise) - تين
- 2 large red onions (thinly sliced) - بصل أحمر
- 250 gram goat cheese (thinly sliced) - جبن الماعز
- 1 tablespoon oregano (dried & chopped) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 300 gram short crust pastry (3/4 pack - at room tempreature) - عجينة شورت كرست
- 1 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- flour (for dusting) - دقيق
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon walnut (chopped - optional) - عين جمل / جوز
Step by step
- in a large pan, melt the butter and add the sliced onions. As the onions cook, stir in sugar and salt and pepper. Once tender, turn off the stove and let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Dust a clean surface with flour, as well as your roller. Spread the dough by pushing forward with the dough then turning the dough and rolling forward again - you will need to dust with flour every now and then. Sprinkle the dough with dried oregano as you turn and roll out in order to press the herb into the dough. You want to a achieve a thin round piece of dough around 35cm in diameter.
- Line a greased 20-25 cm diameter oven pan with the dough making sure the dough also covers at least 3/4 of the pan sides.
- Spread the cooled onions on the pie dough to create a first layer. Then add the sliced cheese to cover the onions followed by the sliced fig on top. Sprinkle some more oregano before putting it in the oven.
- Keep in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes until the dough is fully cooked and a little crisp from the sides.
- Once the pie is out of the oven sprinkle with chopped toasted walnuts. Make sure to serve it warm.
Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity....
No-Recipe Roasted Vegetable Platter
This is a very simple recipe that goes a long way. I like to serve it on almost every dinner party...
Pomegranate Jallab with Silvered Almonds
Such a simple refreshing drink, this Pomegranate Jallab is a popular drink in Lebanon and...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside with a tasty cheesy yet fresh taste. It is perfect as a side veggie dish for your everyday lunch as well as for big gatherings. This recipe serves 4-6. For bigger dinner parties, you will need to double the […]