Figs & Goat Cheese Oregano Pie
By yasmine • July 22, 2015
Fig season is here and can’t stop thinking of all the fun recipes we can prepare using figs. It is a great fruit to use in sweet as well as savoury dishes. This savoury one never fails to impress.
If you make this pie once, you will be doing it again and again since it is great for entertaining. You can also spread some arugula leaves on top before serving for an extra colour and crunch.
Thank you Maha Yacine for providing us with a French translation for this recipe. You can find the translation in the comments underneath the recipe.
- 6 figs (sliced lengthwise) - تين
- 2 large red onions (thinly sliced) - بصل أحمر
- 250 gram goat cheese (thinly sliced) - جبن الماعز
- 1 tablespoon oregano (dried & chopped) - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 300 gram short crust pastry (3/4 pack - at room tempreature) - عجينة شورت كرست
- 1 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- flour (for dusting) - دقيق
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 tablespoon walnut (chopped - optional) - عين جمل / جوز
Step by step
- in a large pan, melt the butter and add the sliced onions. As the onions cook, stir in sugar and salt and pepper. Once tender, turn off the stove and let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Dust a clean surface with flour, as well as your roller. Spread the dough by pushing forward with the dough then turning the dough and rolling forward again - you will need to dust with flour every now and then. Sprinkle the dough with dried oregano as you turn and roll out in order to press the herb into the dough. You want to a achieve a thin round piece of dough around 35cm in diameter.
- Line a greased 20-25 cm diameter oven pan with the dough making sure the dough also covers at least 3/4 of the pan sides.
- Spread the cooled onions on the pie dough to create a first layer. Then add the sliced cheese to cover the onions followed by the sliced fig on top. Sprinkle some more oregano before putting it in the oven.
- Keep in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes until the dough is fully cooked and a little crisp from the sides.
- Once the pie is out of the oven sprinkle with chopped toasted walnuts. Make sure to serve it warm.
Green Caviar Dip
This recipe was a hit at one of my friend's gatherings and turns out she got this simple recipe...
Avocado Orange Green Salad
This Avocado Orange Green Salad is a refreshing summer salad - great for avocado season! The...
Ice Cream Cookie Cups
Whether you're a fan of freezing ice cream on cold winter nights or not, you'll love this...
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside with a tasty cheesy yet fresh taste. It is perfect as a side veggie dish for your everyday lunch as well as for big gatherings. This recipe serves 4-6. For bigger dinner parties, you will need to double the […]
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie! You can prepare it as a round or as a […]