Fennel & Potato Soup – the ultimate winter warm up!
By yasmine • June 24, 2015
The warmth of the potato creaminess and the crispiness of the fennel as well as its subtle sweetness can transform your cold winter nights into a warm and hearty cuddle. It is heavy soup that is better enjoyed as a snack or pair it with a light side dish (I served it next to some kobeba and sambousak).
Best served in front of a fire place and a romantic movie!
- 1 stem fennel - شمر او فونوكيا
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and diced) - بطاطس
- 2 stick green onion (diced) - بصل أخضر
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 drizzle olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/2 cup cooking cream (optional) - كريم الطهي
- 4 cup chicken broth/stock (or 1 stock cube to 4 cups hot water) - مرقة دجاج
- 1-2 piece arabic gum (known as mesteka) - مستكة
- generous salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- On a medium heat, melt the butter in a medium pot and add the green onions and arabic gum.
- In a couple of minutes, stir in the chopped fennel and some salt and pepper, followed by the diced potatoes and the olive oil.
- Give this whole mix a toss and add the warm chicken stock to cover the vegetables. Bring it all to a boil, add some more salt and pepper, put down the heat and cover.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through (about 20 minutes), blend the whole mix with hand mixer or in the kitchen blender.
- Stir in some cooking cream before serving and garnish with a couple of green onion dices.
Banana & Date Whole-Wheat Cake
I came across a lot of baking recipes when I tried to introduce my toddler to sweets without adding...
Strawberries Dipped in Chocolate & Icing
This is not really a recipe - it is just a more colorful idea to serving delicious strawberries...
Everyone’s Favourite Shawerma
The secret recipe to the best homemade shawerma is finally revealed. We had to dig for the...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Comforting Potato Gratin – A Shortcut Recipe
This potato gratin is not just delicious, it can be ready in as short as 30 minutes! You need to thinly slice the potatoes (unpeeled and all) with a mandolin or with the knife setting of the food processor. Also, boiling the potatoes for 10 minutes in little water and steam helps it get cooked […]
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]