Fennel & Potato Soup – the ultimate winter warm up!
By yasmine • June 24, 2015
The warmth of the potato creaminess and the crispiness of the fennel as well as its subtle sweetness can transform your cold winter nights into a warm and hearty cuddle. It is heavy soup that is better enjoyed as a snack or pair it with a light side dish (I served it next to some kobeba and sambousak).
Best served in front of a fire place and a romantic movie!
- 1 stem fennel - شمر او فونوكيا
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and diced) - بطاطس
- 2 stick green onion (diced) - بصل أخضر
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 drizzle olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/2 cup cooking cream (optional) - كريم الطهي
- 4 cup chicken broth/stock (or 1 stock cube to 4 cups hot water) - مرقة دجاج
- 1-2 piece arabic gum (known as mesteka) - مستكة
- generous salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- On a medium heat, melt the butter in a medium pot and add the green onions and arabic gum.
- In a couple of minutes, stir in the chopped fennel and some salt and pepper, followed by the diced potatoes and the olive oil.
- Give this whole mix a toss and add the warm chicken stock to cover the vegetables. Bring it all to a boil, add some more salt and pepper, put down the heat and cover.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through (about 20 minutes), blend the whole mix with hand mixer or in the kitchen blender.
- Stir in some cooking cream before serving and garnish with a couple of green onion dices.
Easy Veal Fillet with Instant Dijon Mustard Sauce
الوصفه بالعربي This Veal Fillet with Instant Dijon Mustard Sauce is a great option...
Delicious No-Wheat Pancakes
For all our gluten-free friends out there: These pancakes taste exactly like the normal ones but...
Summer Lime Karkadeh (Hibiscus)
Since Karkadeh is just consumed in Ramadan. I personally think it's the perfect summer drink of all...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking for. It is versatile and can be served next to main dishes from any cuisines (Egyptian, Italian, Indian). This is the basic recipe using only garlic, salt, pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice to bind […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Honey Mustard Chicken
If you like easy and tasty chicken recipes, the Honey Mustard Chicken is what you are looking for. It’s flavorful and moist. This recipe does not require any onion chopping, which is always a great plus! Just make sure to leave the chicken in the marinade for an hour at least before cooking. This marinade […]