Fennel & Potato Soup – the ultimate winter warm up!
By yasmine • June 24, 2015
The warmth of the potato creaminess and the crispiness of the fennel as well as its subtle sweetness can transform your cold winter nights into a warm and hearty cuddle. It is heavy soup that is better enjoyed as a snack or pair it with a light side dish (I served it next to some kobeba and sambousak).
Best served in front of a fire place and a romantic movie!
- 1 stem fennel - شمر او فونوكيا
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and diced) - بطاطس
- 2 stick green onion (diced) - بصل أخضر
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 drizzle olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/2 cup cooking cream (optional) - كريم الطهي
- 4 cup chicken broth/stock (or 1 stock cube to 4 cups hot water) - مرقة دجاج
- 1-2 piece arabic gum (known as mesteka) - مستكة
- generous salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- On a medium heat, melt the butter in a medium pot and add the green onions and arabic gum.
- In a couple of minutes, stir in the chopped fennel and some salt and pepper, followed by the diced potatoes and the olive oil.
- Give this whole mix a toss and add the warm chicken stock to cover the vegetables. Bring it all to a boil, add some more salt and pepper, put down the heat and cover.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through (about 20 minutes), blend the whole mix with hand mixer or in the kitchen blender.
- Stir in some cooking cream before serving and garnish with a couple of green onion dices.
Homemade Creamy Date Syrup
This two-ingredient replacement to sugar, honey and all artificial sweeteners, is to die for! You...
Warm Spiced Pumpkin with White Chocolate Sauce
الوصفة بالعربي If you haven't tried this festive pumkin dessert, you are missing out!...
Spinach & Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breast with Tomato & Carrot Cream Sauce
This recipe is the runner-up to #MyBestDish cooking competition. This recipe is perfect for any...
Apple & Dill Mixed Vegetable Salad
This Apple & Dill Mixed Vegetable Salad is delicious, fun and easy to prepare in advance. With colourful veggies, sweet crunchy apples and a hint of fresh dill & spring onions, this salad also makes an exciting cold side dish for grilled meat, chicken and fish.
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]
Classic Cheese & Cucumber Sandwich with a Twist
The simple idea of thinly grating cucumber into paper-thin slices (using a basic kitchen grater) can transform the classic Cheese &Cucumber Sandwich into something much more exciting!
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.