Fatta – Made Simple & Delicious
By shahdan • June 18, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This recipe was tested in the CairoCooking kitchen and it was absolutely delicious! The tomato sauce is garlicky and tangy with the crisp of the bread and the creaminess of the yoghurt tahini mix. It took us half hour to prepare (using leftover cooked rice), but utilising 2 pots, minimum 2 pans, the blender and a mixing bowl besides the acompanying utensils. While the dish washing is a bit of a pain after this recipe, it is all worth it when your guests rave about how special your Fatta is.
If you ever want to enter the world of Fatta, this is the recipe for you. It is simple and straightforward and lets you understand the essence of this dish. It might even get you inspired to get creative with additions to it, like hummus or aubergine.
This dish is great in big gatherings and next to any protein dish.
This recipe is by Dalia Allam from her article with www.cairocooking.com
- 3 shamy bread (opened and cut in squares) - خبز شامي
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 kg tomato (cut in chunks) - طماطم
- 12 garlic cloves (minced - for the tomato sauce) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 cup vinegar - خل
- salt - ملح
- 8 yoghurt - زبادي
- 5 garlic cloves (minced - for the yoghurt) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- handful pine nuts (for garnish) - صنوبر
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2-3 cup cooked rice - ارز مطبوخ
Step by step
- Fry the shamy bread until golden and leave aside.
- Boil the tomatoes in large pot until tender then blend them and sift to get the pure tomato juice without skin or pits.
- In a seperate pan, heat 2 tbsp oil, add minced garlic and fry for 30 seconds then add the vinegar to it. Stir this mix into the tomato juice, season with salt, lower the heat and cover. It should simmer for around 20 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Mix the yoghurt with the remaining minced garlic (about 5) and the tahini.
- Toast the pine nuts in the oil for 5 minutes on medium heat and set aside.
- To serve the Fatta, choose a round or an oval dish. Put a generous layer of crispy bread and cover it with a couple of ladle's of tomato sauce. Then add the rice layer to cover the bread (you can decide how thick you want it to be), followed by more tomato sauce to form a nice thick layer. Top it with the yoghurt tahini mix and sprinkle the toasted pine nuts.
Dill & Lemon Salmon Tagliatelle
Succulent and flaky salmon chunks are served on a bed of Italian tagliatelle and covered with a...
Balsamic glaze is a thick balsamic vinegar reduction that is great for salads, grilled veggies,...
Fresh Coriander & Cucumber Salad
Serve and enjoy this salad with CairoCooking's Asian dishes. With super simple ingredients, this...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]