Fatta – Made Simple & Delicious
By shahdan • June 18, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This recipe was tested in the CairoCooking kitchen and it was absolutely delicious! The tomato sauce is garlicky and tangy with the crisp of the bread and the creaminess of the yoghurt tahini mix. It took us half hour to prepare (using leftover cooked rice), but utilising 2 pots, minimum 2 pans, the blender and a mixing bowl besides the acompanying utensils. While the dish washing is a bit of a pain after this recipe, it is all worth it when your guests rave about how special your Fatta is.
If you ever want to enter the world of Fatta, this is the recipe for you. It is simple and straightforward and lets you understand the essence of this dish. It might even get you inspired to get creative with additions to it, like hummus or aubergine.
This dish is great in big gatherings and next to any protein dish.
This recipe is by Dalia Allam from her article with www.cairocooking.com
- 3 shamy bread (opened and cut in squares) - خبز شامي
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 kg tomato (cut in chunks) - طماطم
- 12 garlic cloves (minced - for the tomato sauce) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 cup vinegar - خل
- salt - ملح
- 8 yoghurt - زبادي
- 5 garlic cloves (minced - for the yoghurt) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- handful pine nuts (for garnish) - صنوبر
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 2-3 cup cooked rice - ارز مطبوخ
Step by step
- Fry the shamy bread until golden and leave aside.
- Boil the tomatoes in large pot until tender then blend them and sift to get the pure tomato juice without skin or pits.
- In a seperate pan, heat 2 tbsp oil, add minced garlic and fry for 30 seconds then add the vinegar to it. Stir this mix into the tomato juice, season with salt, lower the heat and cover. It should simmer for around 20 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Mix the yoghurt with the remaining minced garlic (about 5) and the tahini.
- Toast the pine nuts in the oil for 5 minutes on medium heat and set aside.
- To serve the Fatta, choose a round or an oval dish. Put a generous layer of crispy bread and cover it with a couple of ladle's of tomato sauce. Then add the rice layer to cover the bread (you can decide how thick you want it to be), followed by more tomato sauce to form a nice thick layer. Top it with the yoghurt tahini mix and sprinkle the toasted pine nuts.
Soy & Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry
الوصفة بالعربي This luscious chicken stir-fry dish is easy, delicious and packed with...
Super Tasty Super Simple Asparagus
This is the type of recipe you will find yourself doing over and over again for your everyday meals...
Orange & Cardamom Rice Pudding
الوصفة بالعربي Add a fragrant twist to this all time...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]