Everyone’s Favourite Shawerma
By shahdan • July 8, 2015
The secret recipe to the best homemade shawerma is finally revealed. We had to dig for the best meat shawerma and thankfully, our dear ‘Tante Magda Hassaan’, was more than happy to share her very special recipe with www.cairocooking.com. You will not believe that it’s not restaurant-bought! And the best news is: the recipe is super easy and the ingredients are very basic. Roll it up in your favourite flat bread, or serve it on a platter with tahini and tortilla on the side, and enjoy the best takeaway food prepared at home!
For best results, the meat needs to marinate for 2 hours!
- 1 kg beef (beef scallop thinnly sliced) - لحمة
- 2 medium onions (cut in rings) - بصل
- 3 tablespoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 cup vinegar - خل
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 medium tomato (cubed) - طماطم
- 1 handful parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- In a tray, mix together the onion, vinegar, all spice, salt and pepper then add the beef and toss until the meat is nicely coated. Leave to marinate in the fridge for 2 hours. (Make sure you can clearly smell the vinegar and all spice, and if you can't you may add a little more.)
- To cook the shawerma, place the whole tray on medium heat then add little pieces of butter over the meat and cover the tray with foil.
- Check on your shawerma and give it a quick stir every 5 minutes until it cooks (it will take approximately 40 minutes).
- When the meat is cooked add your tomatoes and parsley then toss together and serve!
Baby Banana Ice Cream
From 12 months. Not just because of dairy, but also because extra cold contents are not as easy to...
Onion & Soy Grilled Liver Fillets
This recipe will make you crave liver fillets more than meat and chicken. It makes liver tasty,...
Eggplant & Shrimp Farfalle
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish competition in collaboration with Easy-Pan.com. Easy and...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]