Everyone’s Favourite Shawerma
By shahdan • July 8, 2015
The secret recipe to the best homemade shawerma is finally revealed. We had to dig for the best meat shawerma and thankfully, our dear ‘Tante Magda Hassaan’, was more than happy to share her very special recipe with www.cairocooking.com. You will not believe that it’s not restaurant-bought! And the best news is: the recipe is super easy and the ingredients are very basic. Roll it up in your favourite flat bread, or serve it on a platter with tahini and tortilla on the side, and enjoy the best takeaway food prepared at home!
For best results, the meat needs to marinate for 2 hours!
- 1 kg beef (beef scallop thinnly sliced) - لحمة
- 2 medium onions (cut in rings) - بصل
- 3 tablespoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 cup vinegar - خل
- 2 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 medium tomato (cubed) - طماطم
- 1 handful parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- In a tray, mix together the onion, vinegar, all spice, salt and pepper then add the beef and toss until the meat is nicely coated. Leave to marinate in the fridge for 2 hours. (Make sure you can clearly smell the vinegar and all spice, and if you can't you may add a little more.)
- To cook the shawerma, place the whole tray on medium heat then add little pieces of butter over the meat and cover the tray with foil.
- Check on your shawerma and give it a quick stir every 5 minutes until it cooks (it will take approximately 40 minutes).
- When the meat is cooked add your tomatoes and parsley then toss together and serve!
Mini Konafa Cups
These mini Konafa cups are so easy to prepare and just optimal for small gatherings. You can...
Stir-Fried Garlic & Ginger Bok Choy
Bok Choi to me was a scary cabbage that I didn’t know how to use or add to my salads since it has...
Make-Ahead Chicken Shawerma & Tahini Sandwich Fillers
The children will be super excited about this yummy Shawerma & Tahini sandwich at school. Just...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]