Sweet Pumpkin Béchamel
By shahdan • October 20, 2015
No matter how many pumpkin recipes we try, the Egyptian traditional pumpkin bake with its sweet béchamel will always have a special place in our hearts.
You will find that this recipe does not follow the traditional cooking of the pumpkin cubes in water and sugar – for two reasons: 1. To minimise all the unneeded sugar; 2. The pumpkin becomes too watery.
Here, we cook the pumpkin with just a little water until soft, then squeeze out all the water using a sieve, and finally sweeten the pumpkin to taste. You will be surprised by how little sugar you will need! It is also important to highlight that for cooking the pumpkin puree, we cannot indicate exact measures since pumpkin sizes differ. The quantities below are only guidelines.
If you are feeling a bit adventurous and would like to drift away from the traditional recipe, try the Warm Spiced Pumpkin with White Chocolate Sauce recipe made with a little ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- 1 medium pumpkin (peeled & cubed) - اليقطين/ قرع
- 1 cup water - ماء
- 1/2 cup sugar (or to taste) - سكر
- 1/4 cup nuts (optional) - مكسرات
- Béchamel Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 11/2 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 2 cup half cream milk (+ 1 cup pumpkin cooking water) - لبن نصف دسم
- 2 tablespoon sugar - سكر
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place the pumpkin cubes into a large pot and add one cup of water.
- Place the pot over medium heat and leave the pumpkin cubes to cook until tender. Stir every now and then to make sure all cubes are cooking evenly.
- When all cubes are tender and easily pureed, take the pot off heat and strain the pumpkin into a sieve. Using a wooden spoon, press to squeeze out the extra liquid into a clean bowl. Keep this water for the béchamel - its sweet and full of flavour.
- Return the pumpkin to the pot over the lowest heat gradually mixing the sugar in. Taste as you go, till you achieve the sweetness you like, and all sugar is dissolved. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- To prepare the sweet béchamel, heat the butter in a deep pot. Add the flour and whisk, then gradually add the milk, 1 cup of the pumpkin water, and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Whisk till it thickens and you achieve the right consistency.
- Mix some nuts with the pumpkin puree, then arrange the pumpkin in an oven proof dish. Pour the béchamel over the puree and bake for 30-45 minutes until the béchamel surface is golden.
The Christmas Chestnut Turkey Breast Anyone Can Prepare
الوصفه بالعربي A joyous and hassle-free Christmas turkey with sweet maple syrup and...
Classic Lentils To Die For
A beautiful and filling Sohour dish, these delicious lentils always get the most attention on any...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking...
Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl
Simply served over white rice, the Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl makes such a hearty vegan home-cooked meal.
Traditional Anise Seeds Biscuits
These Anise Seeds Biscuits are a trip down memory lane for my family. Preparing them and filling the kitchen with the smell lets me think of my grandmother’s house and our family lunches ending with dipping these biscuits in the grown-ups hot teas. Our family calls it ‘our biscotti’ (like the Italian), because it looks and smells like it, yet […]
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie! You can prepare it as a round or as a […]
Circkle Crackle Nut Candies
These nut candies are such a yummy, sweet and crunchy dessert in little balls. Nuts, seeds, coconut oil & raw molasses are all immunity-boosting, vitmanin-full and overall nutritious foods, which makes this a great treat for kids and health- and weight-concious adults.