Traditional Foul BelKhalta
By shahdan • October 23, 2015
This traditional foul belKhalta is a family favourite recipe, that we find much tastier than the ready-made options. It is a quick fix for breakfast or dinner if you have it prepared in advance and covered in the fridge.
This recipe uses 4 cups of cooked beans (see simple Foul Medammes recipe here). You may use 2 cans of beans instead, although we strongly recommend the homemade version.
It’s time to give homemade foul a chance!
- 4 cup fava beans (cooked) - فول مدمس
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (plus a drizzle at the end) - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1 large tomato (chopped) - طماطم
- 2 medium lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 medium spring onion (optional) - بصلة خضراء
Step by step
- In a pot, drizzle oil and cook onions on medium heat (stirring occasionally) until soft (about 5-8 minutes).
- Then add chopped tomatoes and cook them with the onions for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked fava beans, then lower the heat and leave them to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- While the beans are cooking, add the cumin, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- When the beans are hot and bubbly, add the tahini.
- Use a handheld blender to blend the beans until smooth (if that's the consistency you prefer).
- Serve in a bowl and add a drizzle of olive oil, a little extra cumin, and some chopped green onions for an extra kick.
Easy Smoked Salmon Blini
Party food at its best! These salmon blini are not only elegant and absolutely scrumptious but they...
Farmer’s Brunch Omelet
Last time I was visiting Germany, I ate this amazing Bauernkartoffeleier – an omelet specialty of...
Arugula Eggplant Salad
Here's what I love about this arugula eggplant salad: it looks and tastes fancy, yet doesn't...
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]