Traditional Foul BelKhalta
By shahdan • October 23, 2015
This traditional foul belKhalta is a family favourite recipe, that we find much tastier than the ready-made options. It is a quick fix for breakfast or dinner if you have it prepared in advance and covered in the fridge.
This recipe uses 4 cups of cooked beans (see simple Foul Medammes recipe here). You may use 2 cans of beans instead, although we strongly recommend the homemade version.
It’s time to give homemade foul a chance!
- 4 cup fava beans (cooked) - فول مدمس
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (plus a drizzle at the end) - زيت زيتون
- 1 large onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1 large tomato (chopped) - طماطم
- 2 medium lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 1 medium spring onion (optional) - بصلة خضراء
Step by step
- In a pot, drizzle oil and cook onions on medium heat (stirring occasionally) until soft (about 5-8 minutes).
- Then add chopped tomatoes and cook them with the onions for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked fava beans, then lower the heat and leave them to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- While the beans are cooking, add the cumin, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- When the beans are hot and bubbly, add the tahini.
- Use a handheld blender to blend the beans until smooth (if that's the consistency you prefer).
- Serve in a bowl and add a drizzle of olive oil, a little extra cumin, and some chopped green onions for an extra kick.
Fig & Pomegranate Green Salad
With fresh healthy greens, sweet figs and super nutritious pomegranates, this extremely easy to...
Sweet Potato & Marshmallow Casserole
الوصفه بالعربي Delicious homemade combo of sweet potato, crumble and roasted...
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]