Egyptian Soggok Shakshouka
By yasmine • May 13, 2015
This dish is a family favourite. We used to have it a lot in Ramadan and very often for Friday brunch. It’s full of flavor and easy to make. Even if you want to keep it vegetarian, replace the soggok with more veggies like colored peppers and carrots and it’ll still taste unique.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 500 gram Egyptian sausages (soggok - cut into bite sizes) - سجق
- 2 onions (quartered) - بصل
- 2 garlic clove (finely chopped) - فص ثوم
- 1 yellow pepper (julienne cut) - فلفل أصفر
- 1 red pepper (OR green pepper - julienne cut) - فلفل أحمر
- 2 tomatoes (peeled & diced) - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water) - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- Tabasco (optional) - صوص تباسكو
- 2 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 5 eggs - بيض
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add the sausages for a quick fry. Once it starts turning brown take it out on paper towels to get rid of the excess fat.
- Keep the same pan on medium heat and stir in the onions, garlic and coloured peppers. Cook until tender (about 8 minutes) then add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste dissolve, salt and pepper and Tabasco (as desired).
- Stir in the sausages again and let it all simmer for 5 minutes on medium heat then add the chopped parsley for a last stir before you remove the mix of the heat.
- Place the shakshouka in a Pyrex (about 20x20cm) or deep oven tray and spread all the ingredients evenly. With your finger, create 4 or 5 holes in the mix with about 3 cm distance between them, then open 1 egg into each hole.
- Place the shakshouka in the middle of the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the eggs are cooked. Garnish with chopped parsley and mint leaves and serve hot with Baladi or Shami bread.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Fresh Basil
Heavy but heavenly… I love the beautiful earthy flavor that mushrooms add to a simple pasta dish,...
Crunchy Tuna & Capers Salad
With lots of greens, the tuna and capers salad is so simple yet delicious due to its sweet and...
Mushroom & Onion Pie
Pies are so hearty, filling and a special treat on any dining table. I used store-bought short...
Brown and crispy from the outside, super juicy from the inside and covered in layers of melted cheese & mouthwatering burger sauce, this is the recipe for the perfect Smashed Burgers that anyone can prepare and devour at home.
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to create a colourful and super nutritious dish. The salad dressing is blended with fresh green parsley to turn a basic sauce into a luscious creamy and full of flavour addition to your salad.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]