Egyptian Soggok Shakshouka
By yasmine • May 13, 2015
This dish is a family favourite. We used to have it a lot in Ramadan and very often for Friday brunch. It’s full of flavor and easy to make. Even if you want to keep it vegetarian, replace the soggok with more veggies like colored peppers and carrots and it’ll still taste unique.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 500 gram Egyptian sausages (soggok - cut into bite sizes) - سجق
- 2 onions (quartered) - بصل
- 2 garlic clove (finely chopped) - فص ثوم
- 1 yellow pepper (julienne cut) - فلفل أصفر
- 1 red pepper (OR green pepper - julienne cut) - فلفل أحمر
- 2 tomatoes (peeled & diced) - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water) - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- Tabasco (optional) - صوص تباسكو
- 2 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 5 eggs - بيض
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add the sausages for a quick fry. Once it starts turning brown take it out on paper towels to get rid of the excess fat.
- Keep the same pan on medium heat and stir in the onions, garlic and coloured peppers. Cook until tender (about 8 minutes) then add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste dissolve, salt and pepper and Tabasco (as desired).
- Stir in the sausages again and let it all simmer for 5 minutes on medium heat then add the chopped parsley for a last stir before you remove the mix of the heat.
- Place the shakshouka in a Pyrex (about 20x20cm) or deep oven tray and spread all the ingredients evenly. With your finger, create 4 or 5 holes in the mix with about 3 cm distance between them, then open 1 egg into each hole.
- Place the shakshouka in the middle of the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the eggs are cooked. Garnish with chopped parsley and mint leaves and serve hot with Baladi or Shami bread.
Winter-Warming Roasted Chestnuts
You know that cold winter night when you just need to cuddle on the sofa and nibble at something?...
Nutritious Cheesy Rosemary Crackers
الوصفة بالعربي Your house will smell like a bakery in the morning with these small...
Cheesecake in a Cup
الوصفه بالعربي Dessert can never be this simple yet so heavenly! Every time I made...
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]
Chicken Waldorf salad
This no-mayo Chicken Waldorf Salad is light, delicious and so refreshing… It is also the perfect way to use leftover chicken! The classic American salad uses fresh red grapes, but we love using dried cranberries instead.
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.