Egyptian Soggok Shakshouka
By yasmine • May 13, 2015
This dish is a family favourite. We used to have it a lot in Ramadan and very often for Friday brunch. It’s full of flavor and easy to make. Even if you want to keep it vegetarian, replace the soggok with more veggies like colored peppers and carrots and it’ll still taste unique.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 500 gram Egyptian sausages (soggok - cut into bite sizes) - سجق
- 2 onions (quartered) - بصل
- 2 garlic clove (finely chopped) - فص ثوم
- 1 yellow pepper (julienne cut) - فلفل أصفر
- 1 red pepper (OR green pepper - julienne cut) - فلفل أحمر
- 2 tomatoes (peeled & diced) - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water) - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- Tabasco (optional) - صوص تباسكو
- 2 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- 5 eggs - بيض
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add the sausages for a quick fry. Once it starts turning brown take it out on paper towels to get rid of the excess fat.
- Keep the same pan on medium heat and stir in the onions, garlic and coloured peppers. Cook until tender (about 8 minutes) then add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste dissolve, salt and pepper and Tabasco (as desired).
- Stir in the sausages again and let it all simmer for 5 minutes on medium heat then add the chopped parsley for a last stir before you remove the mix of the heat.
- Place the shakshouka in a Pyrex (about 20x20cm) or deep oven tray and spread all the ingredients evenly. With your finger, create 4 or 5 holes in the mix with about 3 cm distance between them, then open 1 egg into each hole.
- Place the shakshouka in the middle of the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the eggs are cooked. Garnish with chopped parsley and mint leaves and serve hot with Baladi or Shami bread.
Baked Chicken Fingers
الوصفة بالعربي If my daughter had the option, she would have eaten fried breaded...
This pudding is perfect for you and your family. Blueberries slow the growth of various cancers,...
Delicious Tiramisu Siciliano
While living in Europe, one of my best friends was the amazing Elisa from Sicily! I used to LOVE...
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]