Homemade Low-Sugar Strawberry Jam
By yasmine • April 25, 2016
You might find this strawberry jam a bit dark like a berry jam, but that’s due to the prolonged cooking process to caralmise the little sugar used in this recipe. While the traditional Egyptian jams require 1/2 to 1kg sugar to every 1kg strawberry, we tested this one to make sure we can still achieve a yummy jam without so much sweetness. It was approved by a couple of jam fanatics and the kids…so it became a staple!
You might not buy jarred strawberry jams or resort to extra-sugary homemade ones again 🙂
- 2 kg strawberries - فراولة
- 1 cup sugar - سكر
- 1 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Remove strawberry leafy top as well as upper white bit. Slice strawberries lengthwise and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and lime juice and stir to evenly distribute the toppings. Place it in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- In a large non-stick pot, place sliced strawberries and juices, and cook on medium heat. As soon as the mix boils, lower the heat and let the mix simmer for 1.5 hours. Make sure to stir occasionally scraping the sides of the pot.
- Once the jam is caramelized and a bit thickened, remove from heat and let it cool for up to 30 minutes before placing it in a sterilized jar. Note that the jam will thicken further as it cools. It can be stored for up to a week in the fridge.
Wholewheat & Oats Fruity Pancakes
These nutritious wholewheat pancakes with oats and fruits are made delicious with added bananas...
No-Recipe Roasted Vegetable Platter
This is a very simple recipe that goes a long way. I like to serve it on almost every dinner party...
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]
Classic Cheese & Cucumber Sandwich with a Twist
The simple idea of thinly grating cucumber into paper-thin slices (using a basic kitchen grater) can transform the classic Cheese &Cucumber Sandwich into something much more exciting!
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.