Homemade Low-Sugar Strawberry Jam
By yasmine • April 25, 2016
You might find this strawberry jam a bit dark like a berry jam, but that’s due to the prolonged cooking process to caralmise the little sugar used in this recipe. While the traditional Egyptian jams require 1/2 to 1kg sugar to every 1kg strawberry, we tested this one to make sure we can still achieve a yummy jam without so much sweetness. It was approved by a couple of jam fanatics and the kids…so it became a staple!
You might not buy jarred strawberry jams or resort to extra-sugary homemade ones again 🙂
- 2 kg strawberries - فراولة
- 1 cup sugar - سكر
- 1 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Remove strawberry leafy top as well as upper white bit. Slice strawberries lengthwise and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and lime juice and stir to evenly distribute the toppings. Place it in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- In a large non-stick pot, place sliced strawberries and juices, and cook on medium heat. As soon as the mix boils, lower the heat and let the mix simmer for 1.5 hours. Make sure to stir occasionally scraping the sides of the pot.
- Once the jam is caramelized and a bit thickened, remove from heat and let it cool for up to 30 minutes before placing it in a sterilized jar. Note that the jam will thicken further as it cools. It can be stored for up to a week in the fridge.
An old family recipe for the easiest brownies, yet delicious and chewy. Recipe by: Shahira...
Quick Coconut Chicken Curry
The Coconut Chicken Curry is a favourite in our house and my quick go-to dish on busy days. It...
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]