Homemade Low-Sugar Strawberry Jam
By yasmine • April 25, 2016
You might find this strawberry jam a bit dark like a berry jam, but that’s due to the prolonged cooking process to caralmise the little sugar used in this recipe. While the traditional Egyptian jams require 1/2 to 1kg sugar to every 1kg strawberry, we tested this one to make sure we can still achieve a yummy jam without so much sweetness. It was approved by a couple of jam fanatics and the kids…so it became a staple!
You might not buy jarred strawberry jams or resort to extra-sugary homemade ones again 🙂
- 2 kg strawberries - فراولة
- 1 cup sugar - سكر
- 1 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Remove strawberry leafy top as well as upper white bit. Slice strawberries lengthwise and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and lime juice and stir to evenly distribute the toppings. Place it in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- In a large non-stick pot, place sliced strawberries and juices, and cook on medium heat. As soon as the mix boils, lower the heat and let the mix simmer for 1.5 hours. Make sure to stir occasionally scraping the sides of the pot.
- Once the jam is caramelized and a bit thickened, remove from heat and let it cool for up to 30 minutes before placing it in a sterilized jar. Note that the jam will thicken further as it cools. It can be stored for up to a week in the fridge.
Soy & Ginger Bulgur Salad
The soy & ginger bulgur is an exotic and tasty salad on its own, as well as a great side dish...
Fig & Pomegranate Green Salad
With fresh healthy greens, sweet figs and super nutritious pomegranates, this extremely easy to...
Banana Nice Cream With Pistachios & Mastic
Simple yet so delicious and guilt-free, this nice cream with pistachio and mastic is a must-try...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]