Homemade Low-Sugar Strawberry Jam
By yasmine • April 25, 2016
You might find this strawberry jam a bit dark like a berry jam, but that’s due to the prolonged cooking process to caralmise the little sugar used in this recipe. While the traditional Egyptian jams require 1/2 to 1kg sugar to every 1kg strawberry, we tested this one to make sure we can still achieve a yummy jam without so much sweetness. It was approved by a couple of jam fanatics and the kids…so it became a staple!
You might not buy jarred strawberry jams or resort to extra-sugary homemade ones again 🙂
- 2 kg strawberries - فراولة
- 1 cup sugar - سكر
- 1 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Remove strawberry leafy top as well as upper white bit. Slice strawberries lengthwise and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and lime juice and stir to evenly distribute the toppings. Place it in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- In a large non-stick pot, place sliced strawberries and juices, and cook on medium heat. As soon as the mix boils, lower the heat and let the mix simmer for 1.5 hours. Make sure to stir occasionally scraping the sides of the pot.
- Once the jam is caramelized and a bit thickened, remove from heat and let it cool for up to 30 minutes before placing it in a sterilized jar. Note that the jam will thicken further as it cools. It can be stored for up to a week in the fridge.
Easy Shrimp Stir-Fry
This is a very easy dinner party dish that will wow your guests. It is also loaded with healthy...
A sweet and juicy bread base is covered with a thick layer of creamy milk pudding, flavoured with...
Rustic Cheese Tart
This cheese tart makes a sophisticated yet easy entertaining dish that you can prepare and bake...
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]