Homemade Low-Sugar Strawberry Jam
By yasmine • April 25, 2016
You might find this strawberry jam a bit dark like a berry jam, but that’s due to the prolonged cooking process to caralmise the little sugar used in this recipe. While the traditional Egyptian jams require 1/2 to 1kg sugar to every 1kg strawberry, we tested this one to make sure we can still achieve a yummy jam without so much sweetness. It was approved by a couple of jam fanatics and the kids…so it became a staple!
You might not buy jarred strawberry jams or resort to extra-sugary homemade ones again 🙂
- 2 kg strawberries - فراولة
- 1 cup sugar - سكر
- 1 lime (juiced) - ليمون بلدي
Step by step
- Remove strawberry leafy top as well as upper white bit. Slice strawberries lengthwise and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and lime juice and stir to evenly distribute the toppings. Place it in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- In a large non-stick pot, place sliced strawberries and juices, and cook on medium heat. As soon as the mix boils, lower the heat and let the mix simmer for 1.5 hours. Make sure to stir occasionally scraping the sides of the pot.
- Once the jam is caramelized and a bit thickened, remove from heat and let it cool for up to 30 minutes before placing it in a sterilized jar. Note that the jam will thicken further as it cools. It can be stored for up to a week in the fridge.
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours...
Lovely Lentils Simplified
From 9 months. The infamous Annabella Karmel came up with a toddler lentils recipe that is very...
Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce
As impressive as it looks, the Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce is quite easy to prepare....
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to create a colourful and super nutritious dish. The salad dressing is blended with fresh green parsley to turn a basic sauce into a luscious creamy and full of flavour addition to your salad.
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]