No-Bake Cheesy Spinach Bechamel
By shahdan • May 8, 2015
This Cheesy Spinach Bechamel recipe is fast, easy and perfect for everyday when you don’t have much time to cook and still fancy a hearty meal. It is the perfect creamy companion for grilled meat, chicken and fish… My family believes it is much tastier than the traditional spinach béchamel, and they are more impressed that I prepare it in no time at all. I also like to serve it in dinner parties to replace the boring vegetable dishes that are usually left untouched.
- 1 pack spinach (400 g frozen spinach) - سبانخ
- 1.5 cup milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil (or butter) - زيت نباتي
- 1.5 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 2 slice gouda cheese (or handful grated cheese) - جبن جودة
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (optional) - صنوبر
- 1 pinch salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Place the frozen spinach in a covered pan, with 1/4 cup of water, on a very low heat to defrost.
- In the meantime, you need to do the béchamel. In a pot, add the oil or butter. Stir in the flour, and mix it with the oil. You should leave it to bubble for 30 seconds so the flour cooks. If you skip this step the béchamel will taste like raw flour.
- Add the milk and whisk on a low heat until the béchamel starts to thicken.
- Season the béchamel with salt, pepper, nutmeg and garlic powder.
- When the béchamel reaches the required thickness, add the cheese (cut into small pieces) and whisk so the cheese melts in the béchamel. Put aside.
- Shake the pine nuts in a dry pan over low heat until they are nice and golden (1-2 minutes). You do not need to use any oil, as the pine nuts release their natural oils when heated. Set aside.
- By then the spinach will be defrosted. Remove from heat and use a sieve to squeeze out all the water from the spinach.
- Mix the spinach with the béchamel, adjust the seasoning using salt and pepper, and leave to simmer on a low heat for 3 minutes, and you are ready to serve.
- Sprinkle pine nuts on top and serve immediately.
Homemade Bounty Bars
This dessert is based on 3 ingredients only yet delicious and easy to prepare! Your kids will...
Butter & Herb Smashed Potatoes
These Butter & Herb Smashed Potatoes are a joy to prepare and to eat. There is something...
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it...
Simple, delicious, and the perfect companion to any protein dish especially fish! With some simple ingredients, the simple zucchini is transferred into a succulent vegan and wholesome side dish in 20 minutes.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]
Quick Homemade Pizza
You only need three main ingredients, (and about five minutes) to prepare this pizza dough for the quickest & most delicious homemade pizza. No kneading and no waiting time is required for the dough. Just mix the ingredients together, roll the dough out and get ready to add your favourite toppings. This recipe also includes […]