No-Bake Cheesy Spinach Bechamel
By shahdan • May 8, 2015
This Cheesy Spinach Bechamel recipe is fast, easy and perfect for everyday when you don’t have much time to cook and still fancy a hearty meal. It is the perfect creamy companion for grilled meat, chicken and fish… My family believes it is much tastier than the traditional spinach béchamel, and they are more impressed that I prepare it in no time at all. I also like to serve it in dinner parties to replace the boring vegetable dishes that are usually left untouched.
- 1 pack spinach (400 g frozen spinach) - سبانخ
- 1.5 cup milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil (or butter) - زيت نباتي
- 1.5 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 2 slice gouda cheese (or handful grated cheese) - جبن جودة
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (optional) - صنوبر
- 1 pinch salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Place the frozen spinach in a covered pan, with 1/4 cup of water, on a very low heat to defrost.
- In the meantime, you need to do the béchamel. In a pot, add the oil or butter. Stir in the flour, and mix it with the oil. You should leave it to bubble for 30 seconds so the flour cooks. If you skip this step the béchamel will taste like raw flour.
- Add the milk and whisk on a low heat until the béchamel starts to thicken.
- Season the béchamel with salt, pepper, nutmeg and garlic powder.
- When the béchamel reaches the required thickness, add the cheese (cut into small pieces) and whisk so the cheese melts in the béchamel. Put aside.
- Shake the pine nuts in a dry pan over low heat until they are nice and golden (1-2 minutes). You do not need to use any oil, as the pine nuts release their natural oils when heated. Set aside.
- By then the spinach will be defrosted. Remove from heat and use a sieve to squeeze out all the water from the spinach.
- Mix the spinach with the béchamel, adjust the seasoning using salt and pepper, and leave to simmer on a low heat for 3 minutes, and you are ready to serve.
- Sprinkle pine nuts on top and serve immediately.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Fresh Basil
Heavy but heavenly… I love the beautiful earthy flavor that mushrooms add to a simple pasta dish,...
Quick Coconut Chicken Curry
The Coconut Chicken Curry is a favourite in our house and my quick go-to dish on busy days. It...
Baked Chips with Blue Cheese Topping
الوصفة بالعربي This is such a simple (and quick!) crowd pleaser... everyone will...
Garlicky Pasta with Cauliflower & Peas
Super delicious and comforting, this Garlicky Pasta with Cauliflower & Peas is just the right winter carb. We chose Fusilli for this dish because of its spiral/ textured shape which helps the pasta to better hold onto the sauce with its simple yet flavourful ingredients. Prepare it for a heartwarming dinner then take leftovers (if […]
Dark Chocolate Almond Clusters
These heavenly Chocolate Almond Clusters will be your new favourite treat… and all you really need is good quality dark chocolate and raw almonds.
Butter & Herb Smashed Potatoes
These Butter & Herb Smashed Potatoes are a joy to prepare and to eat. There is something comforting about smashing the boiled unpeeled potatoes before roasting, and brushing them with the butter, garlic and herb mixture. They crisp up from the outside, while the inside stays soft and creamy, making it a delicious comfort food […]
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking for. It is versatile and can be served next to main dishes from any cuisines (Egyptian, Italian, Indian). This is the basic recipe using only garlic, salt, pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice to bind […]