No-Bake Cheesy Spinach Bechamel
By shahdan • May 8, 2015
This Cheesy Spinach Bechamel recipe is fast, easy and perfect for everyday when you don’t have much time to cook and still fancy a hearty meal. It is the perfect creamy companion for grilled meat, chicken and fish… My family believes it is much tastier than the traditional spinach béchamel, and they are more impressed that I prepare it in no time at all. I also like to serve it in dinner parties to replace the boring vegetable dishes that are usually left untouched.
- 1 pack spinach (400 g frozen spinach) - سبانخ
- 1.5 cup milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil (or butter) - زيت نباتي
- 1.5 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 2 slice gouda cheese (or handful grated cheese) - جبن جودة
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (optional) - صنوبر
- 1 pinch salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Place the frozen spinach in a covered pan, with 1/4 cup of water, on a very low heat to defrost.
- In the meantime, you need to do the béchamel. In a pot, add the oil or butter. Stir in the flour, and mix it with the oil. You should leave it to bubble for 30 seconds so the flour cooks. If you skip this step the béchamel will taste like raw flour.
- Add the milk and whisk on a low heat until the béchamel starts to thicken.
- Season the béchamel with salt, pepper, nutmeg and garlic powder.
- When the béchamel reaches the required thickness, add the cheese (cut into small pieces) and whisk so the cheese melts in the béchamel. Put aside.
- Shake the pine nuts in a dry pan over low heat until they are nice and golden (1-2 minutes). You do not need to use any oil, as the pine nuts release their natural oils when heated. Set aside.
- By then the spinach will be defrosted. Remove from heat and use a sieve to squeeze out all the water from the spinach.
- Mix the spinach with the béchamel, adjust the seasoning using salt and pepper, and leave to simmer on a low heat for 3 minutes, and you are ready to serve.
- Sprinkle pine nuts on top and serve immediately.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Not just an incredible dip and appetiser, this hummus is great for kids not just with a sweetness...
Microwave Chocolate Mug Cake
Easy & quick Chocolate Mug Cake to satisfy your chocolate craving. Recipe uploaded by Noha...
Authentic Neapolitan Italian Pizza
There is nothing quite as comforting as a home-baked treat that fills the house with heart-warming...
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]
Classic Cheese & Cucumber Sandwich with a Twist
The simple idea of thinly grating cucumber into paper-thin slices (using a basic kitchen grater) can transform the classic Cheese &Cucumber Sandwich into something much more exciting!
Labna & Black Olives Sandwich Filler
This recipe is ideal for black olive lovers. It is perfect for the lunchbox, and it also makes a great dip for friendly gatherings. Fresh mint gives this classic sandwich filler a new delicious dimension. You can replace labna with any cream cheese you like. In all cases, make sure to use good quality Kalamata olives.
Banana Nice Cream With Pistachios & Mastic
Simple yet so delicious and guilt-free, this nice cream with pistachio and mastic is a must-try this summer! It is also a luscious addition to your Ramadani table. Nice cream is frozen banana blended into ice cream texture without added dairy or sugar. This recipe is full of Middle Eastern flavors like the delicate mastic and […]