No-Bake Cheesy Spinach Bechamel
By shahdan • May 8, 2015
This Cheesy Spinach Bechamel recipe is fast, easy and perfect for everyday when you don’t have much time to cook and still fancy a hearty meal. It is the perfect creamy companion for grilled meat, chicken and fish… My family believes it is much tastier than the traditional spinach béchamel, and they are more impressed that I prepare it in no time at all. I also like to serve it in dinner parties to replace the boring vegetable dishes that are usually left untouched.
- 1 pack spinach (400 g frozen spinach) - سبانخ
- 1.5 cup milk - لبن
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil (or butter) - زيت نباتي
- 1.5 tablespoon flour - دقيق
- 2 slice gouda cheese (or handful grated cheese) - جبن جودة
- 1 pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (optional) - صنوبر
- 1 pinch salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Place the frozen spinach in a covered pan, with 1/4 cup of water, on a very low heat to defrost.
- In the meantime, you need to do the béchamel. In a pot, add the oil or butter. Stir in the flour, and mix it with the oil. You should leave it to bubble for 30 seconds so the flour cooks. If you skip this step the béchamel will taste like raw flour.
- Add the milk and whisk on a low heat until the béchamel starts to thicken.
- Season the béchamel with salt, pepper, nutmeg and garlic powder.
- When the béchamel reaches the required thickness, add the cheese (cut into small pieces) and whisk so the cheese melts in the béchamel. Put aside.
- Shake the pine nuts in a dry pan over low heat until they are nice and golden (1-2 minutes). You do not need to use any oil, as the pine nuts release their natural oils when heated. Set aside.
- By then the spinach will be defrosted. Remove from heat and use a sieve to squeeze out all the water from the spinach.
- Mix the spinach with the béchamel, adjust the seasoning using salt and pepper, and leave to simmer on a low heat for 3 minutes, and you are ready to serve.
- Sprinkle pine nuts on top and serve immediately.
Arugula Sun-dried Tomato & Parmesan Salad
This salad is so delicious, it always leaves an impression with guests. It is a sophisticated...
Indian Chicken with Spiced Yoghurt
Fragrant, moist and delicious, this Indian Spiced chicken dish will definitely impress. It is best...
Artichoke & Lentil Salad
Full of colour, texture, and flavour, the Artichoke & Lentil Salad is the perfect way to eat...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking for. It is versatile and can be served next to main dishes from any cuisines (Egyptian, Italian, Indian). This is the basic recipe using only garlic, salt, pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice to bind […]
Orzo & Vegetables Salad
This Orzo Salad is super simple yet delicious and filling. It is perfect for the lunchbox (with or without cooked chicken pieces) as well as a perfect side dish. This basic vegetable combination is very tasty and will be appreciated by most children. Having said that, you can also always add with other ingredients to […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Honey Mustard Chicken
If you like easy and tasty chicken recipes, the Honey Mustard Chicken is what you are looking for. It’s flavorful and moist. This recipe does not require any onion chopping, which is always a great plus! Just make sure to leave the chicken in the marinade for an hour at least before cooking. This marinade […]