Easter Herring (Renga) Salad
By shahdan • April 23, 2016
My mum always makes this salad on Easter morning. It is yummy and makes eating traditional ‘renga’ hassle-free. She likes to serve it with sliced baladi bread and extra spring onions on the side.
This Easter Herring (Renga) Salad is always a great crowd pleaser!
- 5 whole Herring fish - رنجة
- 3 large bell peppers (yellow, red, and green) - فلفل ملون
- 1 bunch spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 5 medium lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 drizzle sunflower oil (or olive oil) - زيت عباد الشمس
Step by step
- Wrap each fish individually in parchment or foil paper, arrange on a large baking tray, and bake in an 180C oven for 20- 25 minutes or until cooked through. (The fish will open up and the flesh will be flaky and easy to peel from the skin).
- In the meantime, slice bell peppers and spring onions into thin strips or small cubes. Mix in a bowl.
- Take out the fish from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes. Carefully, open the parcels and use your hands to peel the fish from the skin discarding bones and skin.
- Mix the fish with the bell peppers and spring onions. Generously add lime juice and one drizzle of oil. Serve cold with baladi bread on the side.
One famous childhood recipe... This is how my grandma used to serve artichokes. It makes a great...
Spicy Avocado Cucumber Soup
The avocado cucumber soup can be garnished with shrimps on top and enjoyed spicy. Super delicious,...
Lemony Okra with Garlic & Coriander
This is one of my very favorite home recipes! Unlike the traditional okra cooked with tomato sauce,...
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Marinated and oven-roasted to perfection, the Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes will be your new favourite chicken recipe. The flavours and the aroma are simply divine. This is comfort food at it’s best. THE MENU Feel-Good Artichoke Soup Mixed Bean Salad Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes Vermicelli with Almonds Mini Konafa Cups
Good-for-You Bulgur Koshary
This good-for-you koshary dish can easily beat your traditional one. Made from nutritious ingredients such as bulgur, chickpeas, lentils, fresh tomatoes and oven-roasted onions, it still carries all the authentic and yummy koshary flavours without the extra carbs. Definitely a must-try if you love kohasry and are looking for a healthier recipe.
Baked Fish Fillet with Dukka & Hazelnuts
This is an easy, nutty and tasty fish recipe made with Egyptian-style Dukka and crushed hazelnuts. The herbs in most Dukka recipes are just a perfect pair to white fish while the nuts along with the sesame in the Dukka creates a light crust to the fish without covering it completely, keeping it moist and tender. You can […]