Easter Herring (Renga) Salad
By shahdan • April 23, 2016
My mum always makes this salad on Easter morning. It is yummy and makes eating traditional ‘renga’ hassle-free. She likes to serve it with sliced baladi bread and extra spring onions on the side.
This Easter Herring (Renga) Salad is always a great crowd pleaser!
- 5 whole Herring fish - رنجة
- 3 large bell peppers (yellow, red, and green) - فلفل ملون
- 1 bunch spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 5 medium lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 drizzle sunflower oil (or olive oil) - زيت عباد الشمس
Step by step
- Wrap each fish individually in parchment or foil paper, arrange on a large baking tray, and bake in an 180C oven for 20- 25 minutes or until cooked through. (The fish will open up and the flesh will be flaky and easy to peel from the skin).
- In the meantime, slice bell peppers and spring onions into thin strips or small cubes. Mix in a bowl.
- Take out the fish from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes. Carefully, open the parcels and use your hands to peel the fish from the skin discarding bones and skin.
- Mix the fish with the bell peppers and spring onions. Generously add lime juice and one drizzle of oil. Serve cold with baladi bread on the side.
Chilled Avocado Cucumber Soup
Photo Credit: Yehia ElAlaily The Chilled Avocado Cucumber Soup can be garnished with shrimps on...
Pumpkin Mini Muffins
Recipe in Arabic مافين القرع العسلي These super yummy pumpkin muffins are one of...
Beram Freekeh & Meat Cubes
الوصفه بالعربي This dish is traditionally done with so-called rice pasta (Lessan...
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]