Easter Herring (Renga) Salad
By shahdan • April 23, 2016
My mum always makes this salad on Easter morning. It is yummy and makes eating traditional ‘renga’ hassle-free. She likes to serve it with sliced baladi bread and extra spring onions on the side.
This Easter Herring (Renga) Salad is always a great crowd pleaser!
- 5 whole Herring fish - رنجة
- 3 large bell peppers (yellow, red, and green) - فلفل ملون
- 1 bunch spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 5 medium lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 drizzle sunflower oil (or olive oil) - زيت عباد الشمس
Step by step
- Wrap each fish individually in parchment or foil paper, arrange on a large baking tray, and bake in an 180C oven for 20- 25 minutes or until cooked through. (The fish will open up and the flesh will be flaky and easy to peel from the skin).
- In the meantime, slice bell peppers and spring onions into thin strips or small cubes. Mix in a bowl.
- Take out the fish from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes. Carefully, open the parcels and use your hands to peel the fish from the skin discarding bones and skin.
- Mix the fish with the bell peppers and spring onions. Generously add lime juice and one drizzle of oil. Serve cold with baladi bread on the side.
Eggplant Upside-Down Fatta
Eggplants, yoghurt, garlic and golden crispy bread are just a match made in heaven. Every eggplant...
Fried Eggs with Dates (Aagwa)
This is a childhood favourite! The sweetness of the dates fried in butter with the lightly...
Mexican Chicken Fajitas
A platter of Mexican Chicken Fajitas served with tortillas, guacamole and sour cream is always a...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]