Easter Herring (Renga) Salad
By shahdan • April 23, 2016
My mum always makes this salad on Easter morning. It is yummy and makes eating traditional ‘renga’ hassle-free. She likes to serve it with sliced baladi bread and extra spring onions on the side.
This Easter Herring (Renga) Salad is always a great crowd pleaser!
- 5 whole Herring fish - رنجة
- 3 large bell peppers (yellow, red, and green) - فلفل ملون
- 1 bunch spring onion - بصلة خضراء
- 5 medium lime - ليمون بلدي
- 1 drizzle sunflower oil (or olive oil) - زيت عباد الشمس
Step by step
- Wrap each fish individually in parchment or foil paper, arrange on a large baking tray, and bake in an 180C oven for 20- 25 minutes or until cooked through. (The fish will open up and the flesh will be flaky and easy to peel from the skin).
- In the meantime, slice bell peppers and spring onions into thin strips or small cubes. Mix in a bowl.
- Take out the fish from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes. Carefully, open the parcels and use your hands to peel the fish from the skin discarding bones and skin.
- Mix the fish with the bell peppers and spring onions. Generously add lime juice and one drizzle of oil. Serve cold with baladi bread on the side.
Eat Your Rainbow: Eggplant Dip
It's a lot like the Lebanese ElRaheb but more neutral in taste. It's great to have as a dip or a...
Butter & Garlic Carrot Bites
From 12 months. The best solution to help toddlers (from 1 year) feed themselves is to provide...
Balsamic Rosemary Chicken Fillets
الوصفه بالعربي This is the recipe you need for those super busy days. Toss the...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]