Duck & Rice Beraam
By shahdan • May 9, 2015
Rice “beraam” with meat or poultry is very famous in the Egyptian cuisine. The only downside of these dishes is their heaviness. This recipe is an attempt to make a duck beraam that is as light as possible and still tasty enough to wow. This is a recipe that is easy to follow for a sophisticated dish that will impress your family and friends. You can always replace the duck with chicken and follow the same steps. But use one full chicken for one beraam.
- 2 large duck thighs - بط
- 1 large onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 2 medium garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 large carrot (chopped) - جزرة
- 2 stick celery (chopped) - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 3 whole cardamom - حبهان
- 1 large bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (or to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 cup rice (Egyptian rice) - أرز
- 5 cup water - ماء
- 1 cup cooking cream (or half cup cream half cup milk) - كريم الطهي
Step by step
- Season the duck with salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a deep soup pot and fry the ducks on all sides until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add the finely chopped onion, carrot and celery stick and garlic in the same pan and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the all spice, cardamoms, bay leaf and return the duck back to the pot
- Pour 5 cups of water over the duck, cover and leave to simmer on a low heat for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, turn off the heat, and remove the cardamoms that will be floating and top of the soup. Leave the soup to cool, and when it does, try to remove the yellow fatty layer on top of the soup. (This step guarantees a yummy beraam that is not too fatty.) Add one cup of washed rice in the beraam or Pyrex dish, then add the duck followed by the second cup of rice. (You may choose to debone the duck and just add its meat in the rice.)
- Mix 4 cups from the duck stock with 1 cup of cream (or cream and milk for a lighter dish) and adjust the salt and pepper before you pour it over the rice and duck. (You may add the veggies from the stock for a healthier dish or just leave out. The stock is already full of the veggies’ flavors).
- Pop in the oven for 45 min on 180C or until the rice is cooked and all stock is absorbed.
Creamy Turmeric Chicken
الوصفة بالعربي This Creamy Turmeric Chicken is a favourite in our house. I like to...
Fig & Pomegranate Green Salad
With fresh healthy greens, sweet figs and super nutritious pomegranates, this extremely easy to...
Easy Shrimp Stir-Fry
This is a very easy dinner party dish that will wow your guests. It is also loaded with healthy...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]