Duck & Rice Beraam
By shahdan • May 9, 2015
Rice “beraam” with meat or poultry is very famous in the Egyptian cuisine. The only downside of these dishes is their heaviness. This recipe is an attempt to make a duck beraam that is as light as possible and still tasty enough to wow. This is a recipe that is easy to follow for a sophisticated dish that will impress your family and friends. You can always replace the duck with chicken and follow the same steps. But use one full chicken for one beraam.
- 2 large duck thighs - بط
- 1 large onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 2 medium garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 large carrot (chopped) - جزرة
- 2 stick celery (chopped) - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 3 whole cardamom - حبهان
- 1 large bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice - بهارات
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (or to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 2 cup rice (Egyptian rice) - أرز
- 5 cup water - ماء
- 1 cup cooking cream (or half cup cream half cup milk) - كريم الطهي
Step by step
- Season the duck with salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a deep soup pot and fry the ducks on all sides until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add the finely chopped onion, carrot and celery stick and garlic in the same pan and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the all spice, cardamoms, bay leaf and return the duck back to the pot
- Pour 5 cups of water over the duck, cover and leave to simmer on a low heat for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, turn off the heat, and remove the cardamoms that will be floating and top of the soup. Leave the soup to cool, and when it does, try to remove the yellow fatty layer on top of the soup. (This step guarantees a yummy beraam that is not too fatty.) Add one cup of washed rice in the beraam or Pyrex dish, then add the duck followed by the second cup of rice. (You may choose to debone the duck and just add its meat in the rice.)
- Mix 4 cups from the duck stock with 1 cup of cream (or cream and milk for a lighter dish) and adjust the salt and pepper before you pour it over the rice and duck. (You may add the veggies from the stock for a healthier dish or just leave out. The stock is already full of the veggies’ flavors).
- Pop in the oven for 45 min on 180C or until the rice is cooked and all stock is absorbed.
Make-Ahead Chicken Shawerma & Tahini Sandwich Fillers
The children will be super excited about this yummy Shawerma & Tahini sandwich at school. Just...
Cheesy Steaks with Cream Mushroom Sauce
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. An easy flavorful...
Sweet Couscous has always been a classic on my grandmother's dessert table. As children, we used to...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]