Comforting Potato Gratin – A Shortcut Recipe
By yasmine • February 26, 2019
This potato gratin is not just delicious, it can be ready in as short as 30 minutes! You need to thinly slice the potatoes (unpeeled and all) with a mandolin or with the knife setting of the food processor.
Also, boiling the potatoes for 10 minutes in little water and steam helps it get cooked quicker in the oven.
The potatoes come out cheesy, well seasoned and soft from the inside making it the best comfort side dish to any steak or fish dish.
This recipe serves 4-5 people as a side dish but you can easily multiply ingredients for a large gathering.
- 4 medium potatoes (thinly sliced circles with a mandolin or food processor) - بطاطس
- 2 medium onion (thinly sliced into circles) - بصلة
- 1/2 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 1/4 cup full cream milk - لبن كامل الدسم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 2 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 2 tablespoon thyme (stems removed) - زعتر
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated - about 75g) - جبن شيدر
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (gated - about 90g) OR Roumy cheese - جبنة بارميزان
Step by step
- Slice potatoes and onions and place them together in an oven proof dish that you can also use on the stove (diameter 25cm or 20x20cm).
- Add cream, milk, salt & pepper, nutmeg, minced garlic and bay leaves to the potatoes. Sprinkle half the cheese and fresh thyme then use your hands to spread the toppings all over the potatoes.
- Tip the hot water over it then place it on the stove. Bring it to a boil, then lower heat and cover. Let it simmer for up to 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Switch off the stove, sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and place it in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked-through and golden.
- Sprinkle some more fresh thyme and serve hot.
Everyone’s Favourite Shawerma
The secret recipe to the best homemade shawerma is finally revealed. We had to dig for the...
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the...
One Pot Chicken, Mushroom & Broccoli
الوصفه بالعربي Such a simple recipe cooked all at once in one pot! No mess and it...
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]
Quick Homemade Pizza
You only need three main ingredients, (and about five minutes) to prepare this pizza dough for the quickest & most delicious homemade pizza. No kneading and no waiting time is required for the dough. Just mix the ingredients together, roll the dough out and get ready to add your favourite toppings. This recipe also includes […]