Comforting Potato Gratin – A Shortcut Recipe
By yasmine • February 26, 2019
This potato gratin is not just delicious, it can be ready in as short as 30 minutes! You need to thinly slice the potatoes (unpeeled and all) with a mandolin or with the knife setting of the food processor.
Also, boiling the potatoes for 10 minutes in little water and steam helps it get cooked quicker in the oven.
The potatoes come out cheesy, well seasoned and soft from the inside making it the best comfort side dish to any steak or fish dish.
This recipe serves 4-5 people as a side dish but you can easily multiply ingredients for a large gathering.
- 4 medium potatoes (thinly sliced circles with a mandolin or food processor) - بطاطس
- 2 medium onion (thinly sliced into circles) - بصلة
- 1/2 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 1/4 cup full cream milk - لبن كامل الدسم
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 2 garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 bay leaves - ورق لاورا
- 2 tablespoon thyme (stems removed) - زعتر
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (grated - about 75g) - جبن شيدر
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (gated - about 90g) OR Roumy cheese - جبنة بارميزان
Step by step
- Slice potatoes and onions and place them together in an oven proof dish that you can also use on the stove (diameter 25cm or 20x20cm).
- Add cream, milk, salt & pepper, nutmeg, minced garlic and bay leaves to the potatoes. Sprinkle half the cheese and fresh thyme then use your hands to spread the toppings all over the potatoes.
- Tip the hot water over it then place it on the stove. Bring it to a boil, then lower heat and cover. Let it simmer for up to 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Switch off the stove, sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and place it in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked-through and golden.
- Sprinkle some more fresh thyme and serve hot.
Zesty Fresh Spinach & Beetroot Salad
Vibrant, nutritious and full of bold textures and flavours... This salad will blow your mind away!...
Quick Coconut Chicken Curry
The Coconut Chicken Curry is a favourite in our house and my quick go-to dish on busy days. It...
Tropical Fruit Salad
The tropical fruit salad is not just refreshing on a hot summer day, but it also elevates a simple...
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]