Daim Double Chocolate Cake
By Marigo Gharbawy • July 5, 2015
The cake is a result of a random thought that struck at a moment of boredom motivating me to try the new oven my dad bought us in Sokhna. I was bored on a family vacation when my friends told me about a boat trip the next day. So I decided I need to bake something to take with me. I was going through the pantry to see what flavors I will use, it went from salted caramel to dark chocolate orange cake and ended up to Daim double chocolate cake. The cake has a crisp cover but when you cut into it you see a soft layer with mini daims that explode in your mouth as a result of the natural union formed between the melted chocolate and caramel.
150 g of daim chocolate is needed
- 2 cup whole wheat flour - دقيق القمح الكامل
- 1/2 cup sugar - سكر
- 1/4 cup chocolate powder - كاكاو
- 3/4 cup milk - لبن
- 1/3 cup oil - زيت
- 2 egg - بيضة
- 150 gram DAIM chocolate - شيكولاته دايم
- 2 tablespoon cream - قشطة
- 1 tablespoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee - قهوة سريعة التحضير
- 1 pinch salt - ملح
Step by step
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees. In a small bowl, put the chocolate (keep one bar aside for decoration) and the cream and microwave it for 30 seconds until melted. Whisk it (at first it will feel like they are not blending but don’t worry they will). You can also use a double boiler to melt the chocolate if you do not have a microwave.
- In a medium bowl, whisk and combine flour, baking powder, salt, chocolate powder and instant coffee.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until combined and creamy then add the oil and milk. Give it another stir to combine and finally add the melted chocolate and whisk.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture while whisking to combine.
- Pour into a well buttered baking pan and make a add mini Daim pieces on top. Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes or when an inserted wooden skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 5 minutes then transfer on a cooling rack, slice and enjoy.
Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce
As impressive as it looks, the Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce is quite easy to prepare....
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home...
Classic Spinach Soup
Creamy and super nutritious… this spinach soup will pleasantly surprise you with its rich...
Dark Chocolate Almond Clusters
These heavenly Chocolate Almond Clusters will be your new favourite treat… and all you really need is good quality dark chocolate and raw almonds.
Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl
Simply served over white rice, the Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl makes such a hearty vegan home-cooked meal.
Traditional Anise Seeds Biscuits
These Anise Seeds Biscuits are a trip down memory lane for my family. Preparing them and filling the kitchen with the smell lets me think of my grandmother’s house and our family lunches ending with dipping these biscuits in the grown-ups hot teas. Our family calls it ‘our biscotti’ (like the Italian), because it looks and smells like it, yet […]
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie! You can prepare it as a round or as a […]