By Shahira Selim • September 1, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This lentil dish is very special and is definitely a great addition to any lunch or dinner table. The flavours of this sophisticated (yet easily prepared) dish are very similar to Indian lentil dishes served in Indian restaurants. With good quality curry and enough seasoning (salt and pepper), this dish does not need any vegetable cubes! And to give it extra kick, you may also want to add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, and red chili pepper!
This is the lentil recipe that all your friends will want! My mom learned it from a friend, and when we serve it at dinner parties, everyone keeps asking for the recipe!
- 1/4 kg black lentils - عدس بجبة
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 large onion (diced) - بصلة
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 tomatoes (grated) - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon curry - كاري
- 1 vegetable cube - مكعب مرقة خضروات
- 2 stalks coriander - كزبرة
- 1/4 cup coconut milk - لبن جوز الهند
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Wash the lentils then cover them with water and soak for an hour.
- Rinse the lentils, then place them in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and leave to simmer on low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and sauté the diced onion until soft. Add the crushed garlic and the curry powder and stir for another minute then add the grated tomatoes, vegetable cube, salt and pepper. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
- When the lentils are cooked (they will still have some water), pour the curry- tomatoe mix over the lentils. Leave to simmer for 15 minutes, then add the coconut milk and fresh coriander and serve.
Creamy Turmeric Chicken
الوصفة بالعربي This Creamy Turmeric Chicken is a favourite in our house. I like to...
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese...
Fast & Healthy No-Mayo Coleslaw
This is a healthier version of the creamy, crunchy classic version. Just throw one pack of coleslaw...
Turmeric Coconut Lentil Soup
The flavors in this good-for-you Coconut Lentil Soup are simply phenomenal. With turmeric, ginger, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, this is not your traditional lentil soup. It is creamy, sweet, fragrant, and above all super-nutritious. A must-try for the cold winter season.
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!