By Shahira Selim • September 1, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This lentil dish is very special and is definitely a great addition to any lunch or dinner table. The flavours of this sophisticated (yet easily prepared) dish are very similar to Indian lentil dishes served in Indian restaurants. With good quality curry and enough seasoning (salt and pepper), this dish does not need any vegetable cubes! And to give it extra kick, you may also want to add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, and red chili pepper!
This is the lentil recipe that all your friends will want! My mom learned it from a friend, and when we serve it at dinner parties, everyone keeps asking for the recipe!
- 1/4 kg black lentils - عدس بجبة
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 large onion (diced) - بصلة
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 tomatoes (grated) - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon curry - كاري
- 1 vegetable cube - مكعب مرقة خضروات
- 2 stalks coriander - كزبرة
- 1/4 cup coconut milk - لبن جوز الهند
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Wash the lentils then cover them with water and soak for an hour.
- Rinse the lentils, then place them in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and leave to simmer on low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and sauté the diced onion until soft. Add the crushed garlic and the curry powder and stir for another minute then add the grated tomatoes, vegetable cube, salt and pepper. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
- When the lentils are cooked (they will still have some water), pour the curry- tomatoe mix over the lentils. Leave to simmer for 15 minutes, then add the coconut milk and fresh coriander and serve.
Tasty Zucchini Waffles
This is a perfect way to sneak in some zucchini in your kids' breakfast waffles! And the good...
Fatta – Made Simple & Delicious
If you ever want to enter the world of Fatta, this is the recipe for you. It is simple and...
Butter & Garlic Roasted Carrots
Baby carrots are around all Egyptian farmers' markets and big supermarkets these days, inspiring...
Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken. Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition […]
Quinoa Salad with Mint & Pomegranate Seeds
Light and refreshing, this quinoa salad tastes delicious and is packed with nutrients. It can be prepared in advance and put in the lunchbox for work, or as a side dish for dinner.
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]