By Shahira Selim • September 1, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This lentil dish is very special and is definitely a great addition to any lunch or dinner table. The flavours of this sophisticated (yet easily prepared) dish are very similar to Indian lentil dishes served in Indian restaurants. With good quality curry and enough seasoning (salt and pepper), this dish does not need any vegetable cubes! And to give it extra kick, you may also want to add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, and red chili pepper!
This is the lentil recipe that all your friends will want! My mom learned it from a friend, and when we serve it at dinner parties, everyone keeps asking for the recipe!
- 1/4 kg black lentils - عدس بجبة
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 large onion (diced) - بصلة
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 tomatoes (grated) - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon curry - كاري
- 1 vegetable cube - مكعب مرقة خضروات
- 2 stalks coriander - كزبرة
- 1/4 cup coconut milk - لبن جوز الهند
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Wash the lentils then cover them with water and soak for an hour.
- Rinse the lentils, then place them in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and leave to simmer on low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and sauté the diced onion until soft. Add the crushed garlic and the curry powder and stir for another minute then add the grated tomatoes, vegetable cube, salt and pepper. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
- When the lentils are cooked (they will still have some water), pour the curry- tomatoe mix over the lentils. Leave to simmer for 15 minutes, then add the coconut milk and fresh coriander and serve.
No-Bake Cheesy Spinach Bechamel
This Cheesy Spinach Bechamel recipe is fast, easy and perfect for everyday when you don’t have...
Roast Chicken with Lime & Herbs
الوصفه بالعربي When it comes to chicken, the combination of lime, thyme and rosemary...
Eat Your Rainbow: Eggplant Dip
It's a lot like the Lebanese ElRaheb but more neutral in taste. It's great to have as a dip or a...
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl
Simply served over white rice, the Vegetable Turmeric & Coconut Dahl makes such a hearty vegan home-cooked meal.
Banana Nice Cream With Pistachios & Mastic
Simple yet so delicious and guilt-free, this nice cream with pistachio and mastic is a must-try this summer! It is also a luscious addition to your Ramadani table. Nice cream is frozen banana blended into ice cream texture without added dairy or sugar. This recipe is full of Middle Eastern flavors like the delicate mastic and […]