By Shahira Selim • September 1, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This lentil dish is very special and is definitely a great addition to any lunch or dinner table. The flavours of this sophisticated (yet easily prepared) dish are very similar to Indian lentil dishes served in Indian restaurants. With good quality curry and enough seasoning (salt and pepper), this dish does not need any vegetable cubes! And to give it extra kick, you may also want to add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, and red chili pepper!
This is the lentil recipe that all your friends will want! My mom learned it from a friend, and when we serve it at dinner parties, everyone keeps asking for the recipe!
- 1/4 kg black lentils - عدس بجبة
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 large onion (diced) - بصلة
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 tomatoes (grated) - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon curry - كاري
- 1 vegetable cube - مكعب مرقة خضروات
- 2 stalks coriander - كزبرة
- 1/4 cup coconut milk - لبن جوز الهند
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Wash the lentils then cover them with water and soak for an hour.
- Rinse the lentils, then place them in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and leave to simmer on low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and sauté the diced onion until soft. Add the crushed garlic and the curry powder and stir for another minute then add the grated tomatoes, vegetable cube, salt and pepper. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
- When the lentils are cooked (they will still have some water), pour the curry- tomatoe mix over the lentils. Leave to simmer for 15 minutes, then add the coconut milk and fresh coriander and serve.
Delicious Low-Calorie Carrot Cake
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Almost 390...
Hearty Sugar-Free Carrot Muffins
From 12 months. These Carrot Muffins are yummy and heartwarming for the whole family. I make them...
Baked Sweet Potato Fish Pie
From 9 months. My kids started eating fish at 8 and 9 months but every doctor has a different...
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!