By Shahira Selim • September 1, 2015
Tested by Cairo Cooking
This lentil dish is very special and is definitely a great addition to any lunch or dinner table. The flavours of this sophisticated (yet easily prepared) dish are very similar to Indian lentil dishes served in Indian restaurants. With good quality curry and enough seasoning (salt and pepper), this dish does not need any vegetable cubes! And to give it extra kick, you may also want to add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, and red chili pepper!
This is the lentil recipe that all your friends will want! My mom learned it from a friend, and when we serve it at dinner parties, everyone keeps asking for the recipe!
- 1/4 kg black lentils - عدس بجبة
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 large onion (diced) - بصلة
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 tomatoes (grated) - طماطم
- 1 tablespoon curry - كاري
- 1 vegetable cube - مكعب مرقة خضروات
- 2 stalks coriander - كزبرة
- 1/4 cup coconut milk - لبن جوز الهند
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Wash the lentils then cover them with water and soak for an hour.
- Rinse the lentils, then place them in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and leave to simmer on low heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and sauté the diced onion until soft. Add the crushed garlic and the curry powder and stir for another minute then add the grated tomatoes, vegetable cube, salt and pepper. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
- When the lentils are cooked (they will still have some water), pour the curry- tomatoe mix over the lentils. Leave to simmer for 15 minutes, then add the coconut milk and fresh coriander and serve.
Oregano & Sumac Chicken with Classic Freekeh
Oregano & sumac marinated chicken breast fillets are served on a bed of nutritious freekeh, and...
Tropical Fruit Salad
The tropical fruit salad is not just refreshing on a hot summer day, but it also elevates a simple...
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and...
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.