Crusty & Golden Apple Pie
By Samiha Amin • February 18, 2016
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com.
As a child, one of the most exciting things on a Thursday evening was to savor an apple pie from McDonald’s, YES you heard me, at that time this was my favorite apple pie of all times, with sugars oozing from all corners, as greasy as it might be but still…favorite (I gotta admit, I still crave it from time to time).
This is our first homemade apple pie and it turned to be a little piece of heaven, coming out of the oven all crusty and golden. It looked so perfect that it broke our hearts to stab it with a knife and ruin such beauty, but what can we say…
Making pies requires a bit of patience but it is surely worth every minute when shared with loved ones. You can always prepare the dough ahead of time and keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. Follow these directions and you are good to go.
For more recipes by Samiha check flavorsofart.wordpress.com
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour - دقيق أبيض
- 4 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 4.5 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 1 large egg - بيضة
- 1 large egg yolk (egg wash for brushing the dough) - صفار البيض
- 8 cup apples (cut in half wedges) - تفاح
- 2/3 cup sugar - سكر
- 1/4 cup butter - زبدة
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
Step by step
- Start mixing the dough by hand in a bowl. Mix sugar, flour and salt together. Then slowly add softened butter and mix with your hands until little crumbs start to form.
- Add eggs and keep mixing. If it is still dry then add 1 to 2 teaspoons of water. Divide the dough into 2 parts and wrap them in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until it is hard and cold.
- For the filling, peal the apple and cut them in quarters, then cut each quarter to two wedges.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat, add apples, cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg and cook for a couple of minutes then reduce the heat to low and let apples cook and caramelize for about 8-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Roll out half the pastry. Line a 23cm diameter round pie dish, then spoon the apples into the pie dish.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to a circle of 2.5 cm bigger than the pie dish and cut it into six strips.
- Lay the strips parallel to each other across the filling weave strips into a lattice pattern over fruit. Trim overhanging edge of pastry and press the edges together to form a seal (check image).
- Brush dough with egg yolk and sprinkle pie with sugar.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until crust is golden. Leave to cool completely before serving.
Baked Rice Meatballs (Koftet-Rozz)
الوصفه بالعربي Rice meatballs is the kind of food that both, kids as well as grown...
Fragrant Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes
Marinated and oven-roasted to perfection, the Roast Chicken Thighs with Potatoes will be your...
Daim Double Chocolate Cake
The cake is a result of a random thought that struck at a moment of boredom motivating me to try...
Quick Homemade Pizza
You only need three main ingredients, (and about five minutes) to prepare this pizza dough for the quickest & most delicious homemade pizza. No kneading and no waiting time is required for the dough. Just mix the ingredients together, roll the dough out and get ready to add your favourite toppings. This recipe also includes […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.