Creamy Turmeric Chicken
By shahdan • April 14, 2015
This Creamy Turmeric Chicken is a favourite in our house. I like to cook it on busy days because it’s very easy and does not need sophisticated ingredients. And most importantly, my kids love it! They like to eat it with yellow turmeric basmati rice. Turmeric Basmati Rice
- 500 gram chicken breast -preferably cut into strips - صدور دجاج
- 125 ml cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric - كركم
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 small bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 pinch salt and pepper - or to taste - ملح و فلفل
- 3 sprig coriander - to garnish - كزبرة
Step by step
- Marinate the chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper. (The longer the better, but if you're in a hurry, it's ok to rub the chicken really well with the spices.)
- Heat 1 tsp. of oil in a large skillet over medium to high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the chicken and sprinkle the turmeric over the chicken pieces… cook the chicken on both sides till golden and almost cooked through.
- Add the cooking cream and the bay leaf and leave to simmer for 5 minutes over a very low heat.
- Adjust the salt and pepper and you may need to add another sprinkle of turmeric for a stronger flavour. Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve with yellow basmati rice.
Kitchari is India's detox meal. The classic recipe is cooked with rice. In this recipe, rice is...
Chicken Livers with Pomegranate Molasses
This chicken liver recipe is delicious and easy to prepare in less than 30 minutes. It works as a...
Soggo’ Baladi with Pomegranate Molasses
With a crunchy bite and creamy sweetness from the molasses, this Soggo' Baladi with Pomegranate...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled on skewers and served with Tzatziki (yoghurt and cucumber dip) . Unlike our Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, made with chicken thighs, Souvlaki uses boneless chicken breasts. The marinade is also much simpler than the Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, yet zingy […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]