Creamy Turmeric Chicken
By shahdan • April 14, 2015
This Creamy Turmeric Chicken is a favourite in our house. I like to cook it on busy days because it’s super quick and easy. And most importantly, my kids love it! They like to eat it with simple basmati rice.
- 500 gram chicken breast -preferably cut into cubes - صدور دجاج
- 125 ml cooking cream (or coconut cream) - كريم الطهي
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (plus an extra 1/4 tsp in the sauce) - كركم
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 small bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil (or olive oil) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 pinch salt and pepper - or to taste - ملح و فلفل
- 3 sprig coriander - to garnish - كزبرة
Step by step
- Season chicken with garlic powder, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tsp. of oil in a large skillet over medium to high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the chicken. Cook the chicken on both sides till golden and almost cooked through.
- Add the cooking cream (or coconut cream), the bay leaf and another 1/4 tsp of turmeric. Leave to simmer for 5 minutes over a very low heat or until cooked through. (Always check if the thickest piece is cooked through)
- Adjust the salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve with basmati rice.
Hearty Chicken Strips with Carrots & Potatoes
This Chicken Strips with Carrot & Potato Cubes dish was inspired by an old Egyptian recipe...
Yellow Cornmeal Orange Cake
Our grandmas’ time, this recipe was as famous as a cheesecake today. Every house had its own...
Vietnamese Spring Vegetables Soft Rolls
This is the ultimate summer appetiser! Full of crunch and freshness and oh so good for you. You can...
Steak Frites with Mustard Sauce
Steak Frites is a French comfort dish… Always a crowd pleaser, especially when elegantly served with creamy mustard sauce on the side. Absolutely delicious!!
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]