Creamy Turmeric Chicken
By shahdan • April 14, 2015
This Creamy Turmeric Chicken is a favourite in our house. I like to cook it on busy days because it’s super quick and easy. And most importantly, my kids love it! They like to eat it with simple basmati rice.
- 500 gram chicken breast -preferably cut into cubes - صدور دجاج
- 125 ml coconut cream (or cooking cream) - كريمة جوز الهند
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (plus an extra 1/4 tsp in the sauce) - كركم
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 small bay leaf - ورق لاورا
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil (or olive oil) - زيت عباد الشمس
- 1 pinch salt and pepper - or to taste - ملح و فلفل
- 3 sprig coriander - to garnish - كزبرة
Step by step
- Season chicken with garlic powder, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tsp. of oil in a large skillet over medium to high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the chicken. Cook the chicken on both sides till golden and almost cooked through.
- Add the cooking cream (or coconut cream), the bay leaf and another 1/4 tsp of turmeric. Leave to simmer for 5 minutes over a very low heat or until cooked through. (Always check if the thickest piece is cooked through)
- Adjust the salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve with basmati rice.
Meat Goulash (Egyptian Beef Filo Pie)
The meat goulash is such a traditional dish in Egypt and the south part of the Mediterranean. You...
Peanut Butter Chicken Fillets
الوصفة بالعربي This recipe is inspired by an amazing dish we tried at a Latin...
Originally a traditional Russian dish, Beef Stroganoff is always a crowd pleaser! It is easy to...
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]