Creamy Mussels Pasta Tagliatelle
By yasmine • April 15, 2015
Mussles are so easy to cook yet always add luxury to any menu. This dish takes so little time using simple ingredients, yet can be a showstopper at a dinner party or a romantic evening in.
Since mussels are great with most green herbs, feel free to also add fresh thyme to this dish after the cooking cream.
- 400-500 gram pasta (preferably Tagliatele) - معكرونة
- 500 gram mussels - بلح البحر
- 1 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 3-4 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 2 stem celery (chopped) - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 handful basil (hand-torn) - ريحان
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted) - صنوبر
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- arugula (largely chopped - optional for garnish) - جرجير
Step by step
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil and add chopped onions, garlic and celery.
- When the mix starts to soften (before it turns golden), add the cream and a generous dash of salt and pepper.
- As the cream starts sizzling, add the thoroughly washed mussels and cover the pan. The mussels should cook for 5 minutes before you add the pasta.
- Boil the pasta in large pot. When the pasta is almost cooked (al-dente), transfer it to the mussels pan, allowing only about a ladle of pasta water through. Let the mix reduce while you stir in and mix the pasta with the mussels (about 2 minutes).
- Tear the basil leaves and add them at the end of the cooking process (basil added earlier might turn bitter when overcooked.)
- Serve in a semi-bowl and scatter the toasted pine nuts on top and garnish with some more basil and arugula.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home...
Savoury Qatayef with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Cheese
Sun-dried tomatoes and cheese are a match made in heaven! Stuffing our traditional Qatayef with...
Classic Egyptian Koshary
Koshary is one of the most famous Egyptian street food. It is basically a plate full of rice,...
One Pot Chicken Freekeh
A one-pot meal, this chicken freekeh will be your favourite go to when you want a hearty and delicious meal the whole family will enjoy. You can also serve it in a gathering since it looks lovely in a big dish. Heartwarming, wholesome and delicious the Chicken Freekeh is definitely
Traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup
This traditional Beef & Vegetables Soup is not only colourful and delicious, butt it’s also nutrient-dense and a great choice for strong immunity. It’s all you need on cold winter days and when you’re feeling under the weather. It also makes a great Ramadan soup, and can be extra filling with added freekeh just like […]
Chicken & Chickpea Fatta
Flavourful chicken slices and lemony chickpeas are served over a bed of sumac-seasoned crispy bread and covered with a rich garlicky yoghurt-tahini sauce. This is an easy yet super tasty version of everyone’s favourite fatta. For best results, make sure the yoghurt is at room temperature before assembling the dish. This will ensure that the […]
Chicken Liver with Spinach & Chickpeas
This Chicken Liver with Spinach is a one pot main dish prepared in less than 45 minutes yet so good and hearty. It is the sort of dish that brings the family together over a nutritious meal and leaves everyone feeling great after. At CairoCooking, we are all about one pot, easy, nutritious and oh […]