Creamy Mussels Pasta Tagliatelle
By yasmine • April 15, 2015
Mussles are so easy to cook yet always add luxury to any menu. This dish takes so little time using simple ingredients, yet can be a showstopper at a dinner party or a romantic evening in.
Since mussels are great with most green herbs, feel free to also add fresh thyme to this dish after the cooking cream.
- 400-500 gram pasta (preferably Tagliatele) - معكرونة
- 500 gram mussels - بلح البحر
- 1 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 small onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 3-4 garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 2 stem celery (chopped) - كرفس افرنجي
- 2 handful basil (hand-torn) - ريحان
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted) - صنوبر
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- arugula (largely chopped - optional for garnish) - جرجير
Step by step
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil and add chopped onions, garlic and celery.
- When the mix starts to soften (before it turns golden), add the cream and a generous dash of salt and pepper.
- As the cream starts sizzling, add the thoroughly washed mussels and cover the pan. The mussels should cook for 5 minutes before you add the pasta.
- Boil the pasta in large pot. When the pasta is almost cooked (al-dente), transfer it to the mussels pan, allowing only about a ladle of pasta water through. Let the mix reduce while you stir in and mix the pasta with the mussels (about 2 minutes).
- Tear the basil leaves and add them at the end of the cooking process (basil added earlier might turn bitter when overcooked.)
- Serve in a semi-bowl and scatter the toasted pine nuts on top and garnish with some more basil and arugula.
Minted Zucchini Soup
الوصفة بالعربي Even those who don't eat zucchini, will fall in love with this...
Asian Grilled Chicken Salad
This Asian Grilled Chicken Salad is easy, filling and super delicious. It is suitable as a side for...
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled on skewers and served with Tzatziki (yoghurt and cucumber dip) . Unlike our Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, made with chicken thighs, Souvlaki uses boneless chicken breasts. The marinade is also much simpler than the Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, yet zingy […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]