Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Fresh Basil
By shahdan • April 8, 2015
Heavy but heavenly… I love the beautiful earthy flavor that mushrooms add to a simple pasta dish, and adding a little lemon zest at the end adds an extra kick to an all-time favourite.
- 250 gram mushrooms - عش الغراب
- 500 ml vegetable stock - مرقة خضار
- 4 large garlic clove - فص ثوم
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 teaspoon thyme - زعتر
- 1/2 cup basil - fresh - ريحان
- 1 large lemon zest - قشر الليمون
- 200 ml cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 1 tablespoon flour (dissolved in little water) - دقيق
- 500 gram pasta - معكرونة
- 2 tablespoon parmesan cheese - freshly grated - جبنة بارميزان
- 1 pinch salt and pepper - or to taste - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Clean the mushrooms by wiping one by one with a clean wet/damp towel or paper towel. Don’t rinse with water because mushrooms soak up the water like a sponge.
- Slice the mushrooms into thin slices.
- In a big pan, heat the olive oil, and sauté the mushrooms for a few minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic, season with black pepper and thyme, and sauté further until the mushrooms have softened a little (about 5 minutes).
- Add the stock and boil for 10 minutes uncovered until it has reduced a little.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente (follow the instructions on the pasta bag). Do not rinse pasta with water. Just drain.
- Add the cooking cream to the mushroom and stock, followed by the flour dissolved in ¼ cup of water (make sure there are no lumps) and leave to simmer on a medium heat until you have reached the desired thickness of the sauce.
- Add a bunch of fresh basil and adjust seasoning.
- Mix pasta and sauce together, garnish with fresh basil and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan and zest of one lemon.
Easy Creamy Mushroom Chicken
This Creamy Mushroom Chicken dish is easy to prepare and will always be a winner on your table. I...
Red Cabbage Warm Salad
This red cabbage warm salad is a nice change to your traditional greens-based salads. The sweetness...
Homemade Creamy Date Syrup
This two-ingredient replacement to sugar, honey and all artificial sweeteners, is to die for! You...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Chicken Souvlaki & Tzatziki
Chicken Souvlaki is the famous street food from Greece, where marinated chicken cubes are grilled on skewers and served with Tzatziki (yoghurt and cucumber dip) . Unlike our Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, made with chicken thighs, Souvlaki uses boneless chicken breasts. The marinade is also much simpler than the Middle Eastern Shish Tawook, yet zingy […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]