By shahdan • November 16, 2016
This Coconut Ashoura is pure happiness in a bowl. It is deliciously creamy, super nutritious, and makes a great make-ahead breakfast when stored in little jars in the fridge! To enhance flavour and consistency without the extra calories, I like to use coconut cream instead of the regular cream.
- 1 cup barley wheat - قمح
- 3 cup half cream milk (750 ml) - لبن نصف دسم
- 4 tablespoon sugar (or to taste) - سكر
- 1.5 tablespoon corn flour - نشا
- 2 tablespoon coconut cream - كريمة جوز الهند
- 1/2 cup nuts (coconut, raisins, almonds, cashews, pistachios) - مكسرات
Step by step
- Measure one cup dried barley wheat. In a big bowl, cover barley with water and leave it to soak overnight.
- Drain barley then rinse it well with fresh water. Place it in a medium pot, cover with water again and leave to cook on medium heat until the grains are soft (about 30 minutes).
- Drain the water and add 3 cups of milk. When the milk is warm, add sugar to taste.
- Using a small blender, blend about 2 ladles of barley and milk until creamy. This helps enhance the consistency and flavour of the Ashoura. Return the blended Ashoura to the pot (still on the stove).
- In a separate bowl, mix corn flour with 3 tablespoons cold water (or milk) and stir until the mixture is lump-free.
- Add corn flour mixture to the Ashoura, lower heat to a minimum, and use a wooden spoon to constantly stir the Ashoura until you achieve a thicker consistency. Bear in mind that Ashoura thickens more after cooling.
- Take the Ashoura off the heat, stir in coconut cream and mix well, then pour into serving bowls or jars. Leave to cool before you put it in the fridge.
- Garnish with nuts or fruits and serve cold.
Cheesecake in a Cup
الوصفه بالعربي Dessert can never be this simple yet so heavenly! Every time I made...
Creamy Mussels Pasta Tagliatelle
Mussles are so easy to cook yet always add luxury to any menu. This dish takes so little time...
Late Night Date & Custard Pie
This Date & Custard Pie is a result of a ready-made pie crust from Gourmet and the love for...
Brown and crispy from the outside, super juicy from the inside and covered in layers of melted cheese & mouthwatering burger sauce, this is the recipe for the perfect Smashed Burgers that anyone can prepare and devour at home.
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to create a colourful and super nutritious dish. The salad dressing is blended with fresh green parsley to turn a basic sauce into a luscious creamy and full of flavour addition to your salad.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]