By shahdan • November 16, 2016
This Coconut Ashoura is pure happiness in a bowl. It is deliciously creamy, super nutritious, and makes a great make-ahead breakfast when stored in little jars in the fridge! To enhance flavour and consistency without the extra calories, I like to use coconut cream instead of the regular cream.
- 1 cup barley wheat - قمح
- 3 cup half cream milk (750 ml) - لبن نصف دسم
- 4 tablespoon sugar (or to taste) - سكر
- 1.5 tablespoon corn flour - نشا
- 2 tablespoon coconut cream - كريمة جوز الهند
- 1/2 cup nuts (coconut, raisins, almonds, cashews, pistachios) - مكسرات
Step by step
- Measure one cup dried barley wheat. In a big bowl, cover barley with water and leave it to soak overnight.
- Drain barley then rinse it well with fresh water. Place it in a medium pot, cover with water again and leave to cook on medium heat until the grains are soft (about 30 minutes).
- Drain the water and add 3 cups of milk. When the milk is warm, add sugar to taste.
- Using a small blender, blend about 2 ladles of barley and milk until creamy. This helps enhance the consistency and flavour of the Ashoura. Return the blended Ashoura to the pot (still on the stove).
- In a separate bowl, mix corn flour with 3 tablespoons cold water (or milk) and stir until the mixture is lump-free.
- Add corn flour mixture to the Ashoura, lower heat to a minimum, and use a wooden spoon to constantly stir the Ashoura until you achieve a thicker consistency. Bear in mind that Ashoura thickens more after cooling.
- Take the Ashoura off the heat, stir in coconut cream and mix well, then pour into serving bowls or jars. Leave to cool before you put it in the fridge.
- Garnish with nuts or fruits and serve cold.
Easy Smoked Salmon Blini
Party food at its best! These salmon blini are not only elegant and absolutely scrumptious but they...
Tasty Cauliflower Rice
This Tasty Cauliflower Rice is the best healthy replacement for rice. No one will believe this is...
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of...
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]
Chicken Waldorf salad
This no-mayo Chicken Waldorf Salad is light, delicious and so refreshing… It is also the perfect way to use leftover chicken! The classic American salad uses fresh red grapes, but we love using dried cranberries instead.
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.