By shahdan • November 16, 2016
This Coconut Ashoura is pure happiness in a bowl. It is deliciously creamy, super nutritious, and makes a great make-ahead breakfast when stored in little jars in the fridge! To enhance flavour and consistency without the extra calories, I like to use coconut cream instead of the regular cream.
- 1 cup barley wheat - قمح
- 3 cup half cream milk (750 ml) - لبن نصف دسم
- 4 tablespoon sugar (or to taste) - سكر
- 1.5 tablespoon corn flour - نشا
- 2 tablespoon coconut cream - كريمة جوز الهند
- 1/2 cup nuts (coconut, raisins, almonds, cashews, pistachios) - مكسرات
Step by step
- Measure one cup dried barley wheat. In a big bowl, cover barley with water and leave it to soak overnight.
- Drain barley then rinse it well with fresh water. Place it in a medium pot, cover with water again and leave to cook on medium heat until the grains are soft (about 30 minutes).
- Drain the water and add 3 cups of milk. When the milk is warm, add sugar to taste.
- Using a small blender, blend about 2 ladles of barley and milk until creamy. This helps enhance the consistency and flavour of the Ashoura. Return the blended Ashoura to the pot (still on the stove).
- In a separate bowl, mix corn flour with 3 tablespoons cold water (or milk) and stir until the mixture is lump-free.
- Add corn flour mixture to the Ashoura, lower heat to a minimum, and use a wooden spoon to constantly stir the Ashoura until you achieve a thicker consistency. Bear in mind that Ashoura thickens more after cooling.
- Take the Ashoura off the heat, stir in coconut cream and mix well, then pour into serving bowls or jars. Leave to cool before you put it in the fridge.
- Garnish with nuts or fruits and serve cold.
Tasty Cauliflower Rice
This Tasty Cauliflower Rice is the best healthy replacement for rice. No one will believe this is...
The Shrimp Fatta
الوصفه بالعربي This is originally a Crave recipe that I learned to do at home. It...
Broccoli & Basil Soup
This good-for-you Green Broccoli and Basil soup is creamy and delicious without the need to add any...
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]