By shahdan • November 16, 2016
This Coconut Ashoura is pure happiness in a bowl. It is deliciously creamy, super nutritious, and makes a great make-ahead breakfast when stored in little jars in the fridge! To enhance flavour and consistency without the extra calories, I like to use coconut cream instead of the regular cream.
- 1 cup barley wheat - قمح
- 3 cup half cream milk (750 ml) - لبن نصف دسم
- 4 tablespoon sugar (or to taste) - سكر
- 1.5 tablespoon corn flour - نشا
- 2 tablespoon coconut cream - كريمة جوز الهند
- 1/2 cup nuts (coconut, raisins, almonds, cashews, pistachios) - مكسرات
Step by step
- Measure one cup dried barley wheat. In a big bowl, cover barley with water and leave it to soak overnight.
- Drain barley then rinse it well with fresh water. Place it in a medium pot, cover with water again and leave to cook on medium heat until the grains are soft (about 30 minutes).
- Drain the water and add 3 cups of milk. When the milk is warm, add sugar to taste.
- Using a small blender, blend about 2 ladles of barley and milk until creamy. This helps enhance the consistency and flavour of the Ashoura. Return the blended Ashoura to the pot (still on the stove).
- In a separate bowl, mix corn flour with 3 tablespoons cold water (or milk) and stir until the mixture is lump-free.
- Add corn flour mixture to the Ashoura, lower heat to a minimum, and use a wooden spoon to constantly stir the Ashoura until you achieve a thicker consistency. Bear in mind that Ashoura thickens more after cooling.
- Take the Ashoura off the heat, stir in coconut cream and mix well, then pour into serving bowls or jars. Leave to cool before you put it in the fridge.
- Garnish with nuts or fruits and serve cold.
Microwave Chocolate Mug Cake
Easy & quick Chocolate Mug Cake to satisfy your chocolate craving. Recipe uploaded by Noha...
الوصفة بالعربي Hummus falafel is a great variation of the traditional broad bean...
Nutritious Freekeh with Chicken Dish
Extremely nutritious, freekeh is one of the healthiest grains. This grain can be easily cooked into...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Traditional Fattoush Salad
Fresh and full of colourful & nutritious ingredients, a traditional Fattoush Salad is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. The unique garlic & sumac dressing poured over fresh salad ingredients and topped with seasoned crispy bread makes this salad truly irresistible. You can add some of your favorite ingredients to this classic edition such as […]