Classic Mehalabeya with Rose Water and Mastic
By shahdan • June 25, 2016
This is an easy, straight-forward recipe for classic Mehalabeya. The combination of mastic and rose water give this creamy pudding a very special and delicate flavour. The cream is essential for this recipe because it gives the Mehalabeya its super silky & creamy texture. Whether you eat it plain, keep it classic with a garnish of nuts, or top it with fresh fruits, this is a summer dessert that all your family will love.
- Remember this ratio: to make classic homemade Mehalabeya, you need 1.5 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of cornflour for Every cup of milk (250ml cup).
- You can use this recipe for konafa and baklava filling. In that case you don’t have to use cream, and you can reduce sugar to 1 tablespoon per cup of milk, meaning that for every cup of milk you need 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of cornflour.
- Warming most of the milk quantity without the cornflour- then adding the cornflour dissolved in a small quantity of milk later- saves you the time and effort of whisking the full milk quantity & cornflour from the very beginning.
- Always dissolve cornflour in cold milk or water before adding to any warm liquid to prevent it from making lumps and ruining the dish.
- Remember that Mehalabeya thickens on cooling, so don’t over-thicken the milk to keep it nice and creamy.
- 4 cup milk (1 liter) - لبن
- 4 tablespoon corn flour - نشا
- 6 tablespoon sugar - سكر
- 170 gram cream (170g can of Puck cream is a good option) - قشطة
- 1 tablespoon rose water - ماء الورد
- 4 medium mastic / mesteka pieces - مستكة
- nuts (to taste) - مكسرات
- fruits (to taste) - فواكه
Step by step
- Pour 3 cups of cold milk in a pot and heat gently on medium/ low heat. Mix the remaining cold cup of milk with corn flour and sugar and whisk properly, off heat, until cornflour and sugar dissolve.
- When the milk is warm, pour the milk-cornflour mixture into the pot. Whisk continuously until milk thickens (about 10 minutes). If you feel that it hasn't thickened enough, simply mix a teaspoon of cornflour in a 1/8 cup of COLD milk or water and add it to the warm milk mixture and continue whisking until you reach a medium thick creamy pudding. But remember, it should not be too thick because Mehalabeya thickens more as it cools.
- Take it off the heat, add cream and rose water. Using a pestle and mortar, break the mastic into powder and add to the pudding. Stir gently until all ingredients are well combined with the Mehalabeya.
- Pour the mixture in one serving bowl, or 4- 6 small dessert bowls. Let the Mehalabeya cool then place it in the fridge when it reaches room temperature.
- Garnish with nuts or fresh fruits and serve cold.
Comforting Potato & Leek Soup
Potatoes and leeks are a match made in heaven. The creaminess of potatoes mixed with the mild...
Butter & Garlic Roasted Carrots
Baby carrots are around all Egyptian farmers' markets and big supermarkets these days, inspiring...
Sweet Pumpkin Béchamel
الوصفة بالعربي No matter how many pumpkin recipes we try, the Egyptian traditional...
Brown and crispy from the outside, super juicy from the inside and covered in layers of melted cheese & mouthwatering burger sauce, this is the recipe for the perfect Smashed Burgers that anyone can prepare and devour at home.
Blackeyed Peas Salad with Parsley Dressing
This Blackeyed Peas Salad is prepared using very simple everyday ingredients that come together to create a colourful and super nutritious dish. The salad dressing is blended with fresh green parsley to turn a basic sauce into a luscious creamy and full of flavour addition to your salad.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]