Classic Lentils To Die For
By yasmine • June 18, 2015
A beautiful and filling Sohour dish, these delicious lentils always get the most attention on any Ramadani table. It is easy to prepare in advance and even freeze for a week – stays delicious just as freshly cooked. When you defrost and reheat you will need to add some water, some olive oil and garnish with fresh tomatoes and parsley if needed.
- 500 gram black lentils (2.5 cups or 1 pack) - عدس بجبة
- 1 large onion (cut into 8 chunks) - بصلة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 2 piece garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large tomato (diced - optional) - طماطم
- 1 handful parsley (chopped - optional) - بقدونس
Step by step
- Wash the lentils and drain. Transfer them into a medium pot, add the chunky onion pieces and cover with fresh water and a generous dash of salt and pepper.
- Put the pot on medium heat until water starts to boil then lower heat and cover and let it simmer from 30 to 40 minutes or until tender. You may want to add more water if you feel its drying out before getting cooked.
- Once the lentils are cooked, stir in the garlic, cumin and coriander and let it simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Before serving, drizzle with olive oil and add the parsley and tomatoes as garnish.
Baked Rice Meatballs (Koftet-Rozz)
الوصفه بالعربي Rice meatballs is the kind of food that both, kids as well as grown...
Eggplant Upside-Down Fatta
Eggplants, yoghurt, garlic and golden crispy bread are just a match made in heaven. Every eggplant...
Easy Vegan Tortilla Pizza
The tortilla pizza is such a fun lunchbox idea that will definitely please your kids. The...
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]
Traditional Fattoush Salad
Fresh and full of colourful & nutritious ingredients, a traditional Fattoush Salad is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. The unique garlic & sumac dressing poured over fresh salad ingredients and topped with seasoned crispy bread makes this salad truly irresistible. You can add some of your favorite ingredients to this classic edition such as […]