Classic Lentils To Die For
By yasmine • June 18, 2015
A beautiful and filling Sohour dish, these delicious lentils always get the most attention on any Ramadani table. It is easy to prepare in advance and even freeze for a week – stays delicious just as freshly cooked. When you defrost and reheat you will need to add some water, some olive oil and garnish with fresh tomatoes and parsley if needed.
- 500 gram black lentils (2.5 cups or 1 pack) - عدس بجبة
- 1 large onion (cut into 8 chunks) - بصلة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 2 piece garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large tomato (diced - optional) - طماطم
- 1 handful parsley (chopped - optional) - بقدونس
Step by step
- Wash the lentils and drain. Transfer them into a medium pot, add the chunky onion pieces and cover with fresh water and a generous dash of salt and pepper.
- Put the pot on medium heat until water starts to boil then lower heat and cover and let it simmer from 30 to 40 minutes or until tender. You may want to add more water if you feel its drying out before getting cooked.
- Once the lentils are cooked, stir in the garlic, cumin and coriander and let it simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Before serving, drizzle with olive oil and add the parsley and tomatoes as garnish.
Cauliflower & Sweet Potato Vegetable Curry
This is a perfect vegetarian option especially when you need a break from regular proteins. With...
Traditional Dessert Sugar Syrup
This syrup is the main sweetener of most if not all Oriental desserts. You can prepare it in...
Chicken Avocado Sandwich
Whether it's your child's packed lunch or your own, make sure it's healthy and wholesome! It is...
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]