Classic Lentils To Die For
By yasmine • June 18, 2015
A beautiful and filling Sohour dish, these delicious lentils always get the most attention on any Ramadani table. It is easy to prepare in advance and even freeze for a week – stays delicious just as freshly cooked. When you defrost and reheat you will need to add some water, some olive oil and garnish with fresh tomatoes and parsley if needed.
- 500 gram black lentils (2.5 cups or 1 pack) - عدس بجبة
- 1 large onion (cut into 8 chunks) - بصلة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 2 piece garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large tomato (diced - optional) - طماطم
- 1 handful parsley (chopped - optional) - بقدونس
Step by step
- Wash the lentils and drain. Transfer them into a medium pot, add the chunky onion pieces and cover with fresh water and a generous dash of salt and pepper.
- Put the pot on medium heat until water starts to boil then lower heat and cover and let it simmer from 30 to 40 minutes or until tender. You may want to add more water if you feel its drying out before getting cooked.
- Once the lentils are cooked, stir in the garlic, cumin and coriander and let it simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Before serving, drizzle with olive oil and add the parsley and tomatoes as garnish.
Frozen Banana Cream with Cranberries
Just before your bananas turn black from the heat - peel them, slice them and place them in a...
This pudding is perfect for you and your family. Blueberries slow the growth of various cancers,...
Fruit & Oats Cinnamon Nibbling Cake
From 12 months. Everyone loves cake. It is comforting, sweet and soft to the taste. Toddlers at...
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Date & Banana Oat Porridge
Date & Banana Oat Porridge makes the perfect nutritious and filling breakfast in a bowl. It is also a great sohour idea in Ramadan. In this recipe, old fashioned oats (not quick or instant oats), are cooked in water until a thick porridge consistency is reached. Then a splash of dairy or non-dairy milk is […]