Classic Egyptian Lentils
By yasmine • June 18, 2015
A beautiful and filling Sohour dish, these delicious lentils always get the most attention on any Ramadani table. It is easy to prepare in advance and even freeze for a week – stays delicious just as freshly cooked. When you defrost and reheat you will need to add some water, some olive oil and garnish with fresh tomatoes and parsley if needed.
- 500 gram black lentils (2.5 cups or 1 pack) - عدس بجبة
- 1 large onion (cut into 8 chunks) - بصلة
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 2 piece garlic clove (minced) - فص ثوم
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander - كسبرة ناشفة
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 large tomato (diced - optional) - طماطم
- 1 handful parsley (chopped - optional) - بقدونس
Step by step
- Wash the lentils and drain. Transfer them into a medium pot, add the chunky onion pieces and cover with fresh water and a generous dash of salt and pepper.
- Put the pot on medium heat until water starts to boil then lower heat and cover and let it simmer from 30 to 40 minutes or until tender. You may want to add more water if you feel its drying out before getting cooked.
- Once the lentils are cooked, take away the onions and stir in the garlic, cumin and coriander and let it simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Before serving, drizzle with olive oil and add the parsley and tomatoes as garnish.
Mediterranean Vegetable Quinoa Salad
The Roasted Mediterranean Vegetable Quinoa is a perfect warm salad, side dish to your favourite...
Banana & Coconut Bread
This bread is beyond scrumptious and moist with a divine smell. This is probably the most...
Watermelon Ice Popsicles
On a hot summer's day, what's better than a watermelon ice popsicle? Fresh green kiwi (loaded...
Cheat Zaatar Mana’ish
We like to call it ‘cheat’ Mana’ish because this is definitely not the original recipe, however it is a super quick hassle-free variation without compromising on the delicious flavours… The dough does not need any resting time. Just bring it together, roll it out into your favourite shape and size, add your favourite topping and […]
Chicken Waldorf salad
This no-mayo Chicken Waldorf Salad is light, delicious and so refreshing… It is also the perfect way to use leftover chicken! The classic American salad uses fresh red grapes, but we love using dried cranberries instead.
Yummy Oat Pancakes served with dates and bananas, and generously drizzled with a tahini-molasses syrup… this is a healthy and nutritious way to start your day.