By Mitch Designs • April 5, 2017
If you find yourself cooking rice daily, you may want to try cooking freekeh instead. It is filling, full of nutritional benefits, and simply delicious. It will be the star of your every meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 medium onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 cup freekeh - فريك
- 4 cup vegetable stock (OR chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 6 leaves mint (OPTIONAL for garnish) - نعناع
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted - OPTIONAL for garnish) - صنوبر
Step by step
- In a medium pot, sauté minced onions in olive oil until soft. Heat stock in another pot.
- Wash freekeh with runny water. Then add it to the onion, give it a quick stir and pour hot stock over the freekeh.
- Give it another quick stir, cover, and lower heat to a minimum. Leave to cook like rice for 20-25 minutes until freekeh is soft and stock is absorbed. Fluff it with a fork, add salt and pepper (if needed) and serve immediately.
- Optional: Garnish with toasted nuts and fresh mint leaves.
Simple Mahalabeya with Lime Curd
A different & summery take on this nostalgic all time favorite Ramadan pudding, but this time I...
Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Fillets
This roasted red pepper chicken recipe is just so easy and so yum! Ready in less than 30 minutes,...
Peanut Butter & Coloured Peppers Baladi Wrap
The sweetness of coloured peppers with the saltines of this guiltfree all natural peanut butter...
Vegan Spice Cookies with Candied Ginger
These cookies are absolutely brilliant and not just for vegans but for anyone really. It’s crispy on the outside with a cracked top and extra chewy and soft in the inside. Once you try it it’s going to be a staple at your house. This recipe is adapted from Ovenly’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe […]
Veggie-Filled Chicken Burger
A hit with kids and adults alike, these Veggie-Filled Chicken Burgers are so delicious you wouldnt think they’re healthy too!
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!