By shahdan • April 5, 2017
If you find yourself cooking rice daily, you may want to try cooking freekeh instead. It is filling, full of nutritional benefits, and simply delicious. It will be the star of your every meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 medium onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 cup freekeh - فريك
- 3 1/3 cup vegetable stock (OR chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 6 leaves mint (OPTIONAL for garnish) - نعناع
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted - OPTIONAL for garnish) - صنوبر
Step by step
- In a medium pot, sauté minced onions in olive oil until soft. Heat stock in another pot.
- Wash freekeh with runny water. Then add it to the onion, give it a quick stir and pour hot stock over the freekeh.
- Give it another quick stir, cover, and lower heat to a minimum. Leave to cook like rice for 20-25 minutes until freekeh is soft and stock is absorbed. Fluff it with a fork, add salt and pepper (if needed) and serve immediately.
- Optional: Garnish with toasted nuts and fresh mint leaves.
Mahshi Koronb (Stuffed Cabbage) Made Simple
Even though I love cooking and I have a passion for traditional Egyptian food, Mahshi Koronb...
Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Fillets
This roasted red pepper chicken recipe is just so easy and so yum! Ready in less than 30 minutes,...
Crusty & Golden Apple Pie
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. As a child, one of...
Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken. Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition […]
Quinoa Salad with Mint & Pomegranate Seeds
Light and refreshing, this quinoa salad tastes delicious and is packed with nutrients. It can be prepared in advance and put in the lunchbox for work, or as a side dish for dinner.
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]