By shahdan • April 5, 2017
If you find yourself cooking rice daily, you may want to try cooking freekeh instead. It is filling, full of nutritional benefits, and simply delicious. It will be the star of your every meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 medium onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 cup freekeh - فريك
- 3 1/3 cup vegetable stock (OR chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 6 leaves mint (OPTIONAL for garnish) - نعناع
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted - OPTIONAL for garnish) - صنوبر
Step by step
- In a medium pot, sauté minced onions in olive oil until soft. Heat stock in another pot.
- Wash freekeh with runny water. Then add it to the onion, give it a quick stir and pour hot stock over the freekeh.
- Give it another quick stir, cover, and lower heat to a minimum. Leave to cook like rice for 20-25 minutes until freekeh is soft and stock is absorbed. Fluff it with a fork, add salt and pepper (if needed) and serve immediately.
- Optional: Garnish with toasted nuts and fresh mint leaves.
Guiltless Creamy Chicken Mushroom
الوصفة بالعربي This guiltless creamy chicken is so good, it can become an...
No-Mayo Pasta Salad
Colourful and nutritious, this salad is a joyful meal in a lunch box. With 3 different colours...
Dukka is a traditional Egyptian spice mix. It used to be a popular street food, eaten with...
Quinoa Salad with Mint & Pomegranate Seeds
Light and refreshing, this quinoa salad tastes delicious and is packed with nutrients. It can be prepared in advance and put in the lunchbox for work, or as a side dish for dinner.
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Greek Eggplant Dakos Salad
The authentic Greek Dakos salad is all about a delicious mix of tomatoes, feta cheese and olives served on Cretan rusk bread. We are so glad to share it with you since it is one of our favorites whenever we visit this beautiful country. In our Dakos version, we decided to replace the bread with […]
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.