By Mitch Designs • April 5, 2017
If you find yourself cooking rice daily, you may want to try cooking freekeh instead. It is filling, full of nutritional benefits, and simply delicious. It will be the star of your every meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 medium onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 cup freekeh - فريك
- 4 cup vegetable stock (OR chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 6 leaves mint (OPTIONAL for garnish) - نعناع
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted - OPTIONAL for garnish) - صنوبر
Step by step
- In a medium pot, sauté minced onions in olive oil until soft. Heat stock in another pot.
- Wash freekeh with runny water. Then add it to the onion, give it a quick stir and pour hot stock over the freekeh.
- Give it another quick stir, cover, and lower heat to a minimum. Leave to cook like rice for 20-25 minutes until freekeh is soft and stock is absorbed. Fluff it with a fork, add salt and pepper (if needed) and serve immediately.
- Optional: Garnish with toasted nuts and fresh mint leaves.
Mixed Bean Salad
The Mixed Bean Salad is perfect for everyday and large gatherings espeically summer barbecues....
Light One-Pot Okra
This is the vegan version of my mother's 'nayy fe nayy bamia'. While she uses stock, I like to...
Roasted Thyme Chicken & Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي Another popular Egyptian classic... A rustic oven dish with one whole...
Easy Vegetable Stir-Fry
If you are bored of daily vegetable dishes, this easy vegetable stir fry is what you are looking for. It is versatile and can be served next to main dishes from any cuisines (Egyptian, Italian, Indian). This is the basic recipe using only garlic, salt, pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice to bind […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Green Pea Salad with Mint & Feta
Using simple ingredients, you can create this special and good-for-you Green Pea Salad in no time. Fresh with the greens, fragrant with the mint and full of flavour, this salad makes a great vegetarian option on hot summer days. I love to serve it with grilled steak, the combination of flavours are irresistible. However you […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]