By Mitch Designs • April 5, 2017
If you find yourself cooking rice daily, you may want to try cooking freekeh instead. It is filling, full of nutritional benefits, and simply delicious. It will be the star of your every meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 medium onion (minced) - بصلة
- 2 cup freekeh - فريك
- 4 cup vegetable stock (OR chicken stock) - مرقة خضار
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
- 6 leaves mint (OPTIONAL for garnish) - نعناع
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (toasted - OPTIONAL for garnish) - صنوبر
Step by step
- In a medium pot, sauté minced onions in olive oil until soft. Heat stock in another pot.
- Wash freekeh with runny water. Then add it to the onion, give it a quick stir and pour hot stock over the freekeh.
- Give it another quick stir, cover, and lower heat to a minimum. Leave to cook like rice for 20-25 minutes until freekeh is soft and stock is absorbed. Fluff it with a fork, add salt and pepper (if needed) and serve immediately.
- Optional: Garnish with toasted nuts and fresh mint leaves.
Classic Egyptian Bessara
الوصفه بالعربي A hearty authentic Egyptian dish to be proud of! It will take you to...
The Perfectly Roasted Quail
Impress your guests with this super easy-to-follow roasted quail dish. All you need to do...
Oriental Mezza: Lupini & Chickpeas
A typical Egyptian mezza platter that is healthy, nutritious and filling. This platter is so easy...
Roast Beef with Almond, Hazel & Pine Nuts Sauce
Recipe submitted by Rasha ElBaramawy. The roast beef dressed in this low fat nutty sauce is delicious served with steamed rice and broccoli.
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Turmeric Coconut Lentil Soup
The flavors in this good-for-you Coconut Lentil Soup are simply phenomenal. With turmeric, ginger, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, this is not your traditional lentil soup. It is creamy, sweet, fragrant, and above all super-nutritious. A must-try for the cold winter season.