Chicken Livers with Pomegranate Molasses
By Shewekar Elgharably • July 19, 2016
This chicken liver recipe is delicious and easy to prepare in less than 30 minutes. It works as a main dish for lunch or dinner or as part of a lavish weekend brunch for family or friends.
The tenderness of the livers combined with the pomegranate sweetness will remind you of your favorite Lebanese restaurant. Roll up your sleeves, toast your Baladi or Shami bread and make sure to dig in with all your heart!
- 1 kg chicken livers (large cuts) - كبد الدجاج
- vinegar (for washing livers) - خل
- salt (for washing livers) - ملح
- 1 tablespoon ghee (OR 2 tablespoons olive oil) - سمن بلدي
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed) - فصوص ثوم
- 1/2 yellow pepper (thinly sliced) - فلفل أصفر
- 1/2 red pepper (thinly sliced) - فلفل أحمر
- 1 onion (thinly sliced) - بصلة
- 3-4 tablespoon pomegranate molasses - دبس رمان
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- handful parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
Step by step
- Wash chicken livers well with salted water and vinegar. Drain well.
- In a medium pan, melt ghee or heat olive oil and fry chicken livers on all sides until browned (about 3 minutes). Make sure the oil is hot, in order to prevent the liver from releasing its water (which doesn't allow it to fry). If it does release water, try to discard it.
- Add thinly sliced onions and colored peppers and sauté for about 10 minutes. Stir in crushed garlic, salt and pepper.
- Then add pomegranate molasses and leave it to cook for 10 more minutes to thicken. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve warm. You can serve it on a bed of seasoned yoghurt.
Halawa & Chocolate Spread
Recipe by Jummana Lotfy. Egyptian Nutella, as my kids like to call it, is an easy recipe for...
If you find yourself cooking rice daily, you may want to try cooking freekeh instead. It is...
Lentils & Apple Salad
I tried this Lentils & Apple Salad at a friend's dinner and I fell in love with it. Without...
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!
Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity. Unlike most ready-cooked fish dishes in Egypt that use many herbs and spices, this marinade is very basic which allows you to enjoy the pure and delicious taste of white fish meat. I am using sea bream fish (دنيس), yet you can […]