Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
By yasmine • January 5, 2017
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese melting between the soft broccoli and tender chicken along with the crispiness of the buttered filo provide you with the deliciousness and warmth you expect from a homemade pie!
You can prepare it as a round or as a rectangular pie cut in squares.
- 1/2 kg chicken breast fillet (cut in strips) - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- 1/2-1 kg broccoli (1 head - cut in flowers) - بروكلى
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (OR cheddar cheese - shredded) - جبن موتزاريلا
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated) - جبنة بارميزان
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 3 large eggs (divided) - بيض
- 1/4 cup butter (melted) - زبدة
- 2 tablespoon milk - لبن
Step by step
- In a large pan, heat olive oil and fry cut chicken fillet pieces for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In the meantime, boil broccoli florets in a medium pot (filled about halfway with hot water) for 5 minutes as well.
- In a large bowl, add semi-cooked chicken and broccoli florets, salt & pepper, cheeses, and only two eggs. Mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Mix one egg with milk in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large oven dish or pyrex (you can use round or rectangular), add the first sheet of filo pastry (goulash). Brush it with melted butter, then add another sheet and brush again. Repeat until you have 5 sheets of filo pastry at the bottom of the pyrex. If you are using a round dish you might have to put two sheets next to each other for each layer. You can just stick their sides to each other by brushing them with melted butter.
- Spread the chicken broccoli mix evenly on top of the pastry, leaving half a cm from all sides around the edges.
- Add another filo sheet and brush it with melted butter. Repeat with the remaining 4 sheets. Then thoroughly and generously brush the top layer with the egg & milk mixture.
- Tuck the sides of the top layer down the edges of the oven dish to tuck in the sides of the pie.
- Cut the pie into even squares (about 5cm x 5cm) if its a rectangular or into pie slices if it is round - before you place it in the oven. That way you will avoid cracking it or cutting it unevenly after it bakes.
- Place the oven dish in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes to cook evenly. If the top doesn't turn golden, put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes before taking out of the oven. Serve it warm.
Hearty Harira Soup
الوصفة بالعربي My parents lived in Algeria for a year before I was born. There, my...
Rocca-Cranberry Labna Sandwich
If you are out of healthy and different sandwich ideas, try this one. It’s easy, super healthy,...
Chicken Livers with Pomegranate Molasses
This chicken livers recipe is delicious and easy to prepare in less than 30 minutes. It works as a...
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Spinach & Cheese Pie
The Spinach and Cheese Pie is crispy from the outside and smooth(almost creamy) from the inside with a tasty cheesy yet fresh taste. It is perfect as a side veggie dish for your everyday lunch as well as for big gatherings. This recipe serves 4-6. For bigger dinner parties, you will need to double the […]
Garlic & Herb Roasted Potatoes
The Garlic & Herb Roasted Potato dish makes a very delicious side to almost any of your favourite proteins like fish, chicken, meat, or turkey. When I find baby potatoes, I cut them in half, toss them with olive oil and herbs, and roast them until they’re nice and soft. Since these are not easily found in Egypt, I simmer […]