Orange & Cardamom Rice Pudding
By shahdan • May 24, 2015
Add a fragrant twist to this all time classic…
- 1/2 cup rice (Egyptian rice) - أرز
- 4 cup water - ماء
- 1 liter milk - لبن
- 6 tablespoon sugar (or to taste) - سكر
- 3 tablespoon corn flour - نشا
- 2 large orange (use zest only) - برتقالة
- 4 pod cardamom - حبهان
Step by step
- Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes.
- Discard the water and add 4 cups of room temperature water to the rice and cook on medium heat. When it boils lower the heat and leave to simmer until the rice is cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Dissolve the corn flour in 1/4 cup milk and set aside.
- Heat the remaining milk with the orange zest, cardamom pods (after you crack them open), and add the sugar. Stir the mix and make sure the sugar is dissolved. As the milk simmers it will be infused with the lovely orange cardamom aroma.
- When the rice is cooked, use a sieve to strain the aromatic milk into the rice. Add the milk with the dissolved corn flour and keep stirring on a medium heat until you achieve the required consistency. (If you don't stir, the rice will stick to the bottom of the pot and burn.)
- Pour the pudding in your favourite bowls, leave to cool, then garnish with extra orange zest and pop in the fridge.
Homemade Low-Sugar Strawberry Jam
You might find this strawberry jam a bit dark like a berry jam, but that's due to the prolonged...
This Coconut Ashoura is pure happiness in a bowl. It is deliciously creamy, super nutritious, and...
Warm Halva Pudding
If you are a fan of Halva (like me), you will fall in love with this sweet and simple dessert. You...
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
Green Bulgur Salad
Inspired by the Lebanese Tabbouleh, this luscious Green Bulgur Salad is the perfect side dish. It’s fresh, colourful, and full of healthy ingredients. It is easily prepared for your everyday meal, as well as ideal for gatherings especially barbecues. The leftovers (if any) is also great for your lunchbox. The recipe uses 1.5 cup pre-cooked […]
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.