Butter & Herb Smashed Potatoes
By shahdan • October 28, 2018
These Butter & Herb Smashed Potatoes are a joy to prepare and to eat. There is something comforting about smashing the boiled unpeeled potatoes before roasting, and brushing them with the butter, garlic and herb mixture.
They crisp up from the outside, while the inside stays soft and creamy, making it a delicious comfort food served on its own (sour cream and chives on the side) or next to your favourite protein and green salad.
- 8 small potatoes - بطاطس
- 3 tablespoon butter (melted) - زبدة
- 2 large garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 1 teaspoon oregano - أوريجانو/ زعتر
- 1 handful parsley (to garnish) - بقدونس
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Wash potatoes and place them unpeeled in a large pot covered with water. Leave to boil on medium heat until soft from inside. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Arrange potatoes on lightly greased baking tray. Using a potato smasher or a fork, press on each potato to flatten making sure each potato still holds its shape as one piece.
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter with garlic and oregano.
- Generously brush potatoes with the butter mixture. Don't discard any leftover butter.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper and bake until golden crisp from outside (10-15 minutes depending on your oven). You may use the grill in the last 2 minutes.
- Arrange on serving plate. Brush with any leftover butter and garnish with fresh parsley.
Sun-dried Tomato Hummus with Basil
Everyone's favourite hummus dip, only a lot tastier with yummy sundried tomatoes and fragrant...
Baby Banana Ice Cream
From 12 months. Not just because of dairy, but also because extra cold contents are not as easy to...
Classic Egyptian Koshary
Koshary is one of the most famous Egyptian street food. It is basically a plate full of rice,...
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal. We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils. Serve it with a simple green salad with […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]
Creamy Two Salmon & Onion Lasagne
This Creamy Two Salmon & Onion Lasagne is known as Lasagnes Aux Deux Saumons in its native, France. Recipe is by Dina Hamdi. This Lasagnes Aux Deux Saumons recipe has been on my to-do-list for a very long time! My inspiration for this recipe was the same dish I tried back in Paris in a restaurant […]