Broccoli Salad with Honey-Glazed Walnuts
By shahdan • January 22, 2019
Vibrant, fresh and nutritious, this Broccoli Salad will be your new favourite vegetable/salad dish for everyday as well as for fancy dinner parties. It is very simple yet full of mouthwatering flavors and colors. The delicious addition of honey-glazed walnuts elevates the salad into something absolutely elegant.
This salad was inspired by a simple recipe shared on the Food Network. I decided to add my own twist and turn it into an easy yet sophisticated dish to impress. I love my vegetables fresh, crunchy and undercooked, that’s why I only cook them for exactly two minutes. You can cook them for longer if you prefer fully-cooked vegetables. In all cases, be ready with a bowl of ice cold water to drop them in and keep their vibrant colours.
- 250 gram broccoli - بروكلى
- 250 gram carrots - جزر
- 250 gram green beans - فاصوليا خضراء
- 1/2 cup red cabbage (thinly sliced) - كرنب أحمر
- 1/2 cup walnut - عين جمل / جوز
- 1 drizzle honey (about 1.5 tablespoon) - عسل
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard - مسطردة ديجون
- 1 teaspoon honey - عسل
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
Step by step
- Start by preparing your washed veggies. Cut the broccoli into small florets, slice the peeled carrots into sticks, and trim the green beans then cut in halves.
- Prepare a big pot of boiling water on the stove and a bowl with ice cold water on the side.
- Carefully drop the veggies in the boiling water. Leave to cook for 2 minutes, (or more if you prefer), then drain, rinse with fresh water and place in the ice bowl. (You can also cook each veggie on its own if you prefer to have one cooked longer than the other.)
- Drain and dry the veggies on a clean kitchen towel to avoid having a wet salad.
- Heat a small pan and add walnuts. Shake the pan to roast the walnuts for a minute then add a drizzle of honey on the walnuts. Keep stirring using a wooden spoon until all walnuts are nicely coated and toasted. This will not take more than another minute. Transfer walnuts to a plate covered with parchment paper to cool.
- Add all dressing ingredients in a small jar, close it firmly and shake to mix.
- Transfer cooked and dry veggies to a bowl. Add thinly sliced red cabbage. Pour dressing over the salad and mix gently. Taste to adjust salt and pepper if needed, then scatter the honey-glazed walnuts on top. Serve at room temperature.
Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce
As impressive as it looks, the Beef Strips in Black Peppercorn Sauce is quite easy to prepare....
Everyone’s Favourite Shawerma
The secret recipe to the best homemade shawerma is finally revealed. We had to dig for the...
No-Junk Kids’ Burger
If burger is a kids-favourite dish, why don’t we make it as healthy as we can? This burger bursts...
Warm Chestnut Soup with Garlic Breadcrumbs
I tried the chestnut soup in London back in 2013 and ever since then I wanted to prepare it myself and I just did this winter. It turned out super warm and yummy. The original recipe ingredients includes cream, I used skimmed milk instead and it still turned out creamy since chestnuts are already somewhat fatty. You can also […]
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.