Broccoli Salad with Honey-Glazed Walnuts
By shahdan • January 22, 2019
Vibrant, fresh and nutritious, this Broccoli Salad will be your new favourite vegetable/salad dish for everyday as well as for fancy dinner parties. It is very simple yet full of mouthwatering flavors and colors. The delicious addition of honey-glazed walnuts elevates the salad into something absolutely elegant.
This salad was inspired by a simple recipe shared on the Food Network. I decided to add my own twist and turn it into an easy yet sophisticated dish to impress. I love my vegetables fresh, crunchy and undercooked, that’s why I only cook them for exactly two minutes. You can cook them for longer if you prefer fully-cooked vegetables. In all cases, be ready with a bowl of ice cold water to drop them in and keep their vibrant colours.
- 250 gram broccoli - بروكلى
- 250 gram carrots - جزر
- 250 gram green beans - فاصوليا خضراء
- 1/2 cup red cabbage (thinly sliced) - كرنب أحمر
- 1/2 cup walnut - عين جمل / جوز
- 1 drizzle honey (about 1.5 tablespoon) - عسل
- 4 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard - مسطردة ديجون
- 1 teaspoon honey - عسل
- black pepper (to taste) - فلفل أسود
- sea salt (to taste) - ملح البحر
Step by step
- Start by preparing your washed veggies. Cut the broccoli into small florets, slice the peeled carrots into sticks, and trim the green beans then cut in halves.
- Prepare a big pot of boiling water on the stove and a bowl with ice cold water on the side.
- Carefully drop the veggies in the boiling water. Leave to cook for 2 minutes, (or more if you prefer), then drain, rinse with fresh water and place in the ice bowl. (You can also cook each veggie on its own if you prefer to have one cooked longer than the other.)
- Drain and dry the veggies on a clean kitchen towel to avoid having a wet salad.
- Heat a small pan and add walnuts. Shake the pan to roast the walnuts for a minute then add a drizzle of honey on the walnuts. Keep stirring using a wooden spoon until all walnuts are nicely coated and toasted. This will not take more than another minute. Transfer walnuts to a plate covered with parchment paper to cool.
- Add all dressing ingredients in a small jar, close it firmly and shake to mix.
- Transfer cooked and dry veggies to a bowl. Add thinly sliced red cabbage. Pour dressing over the salad and mix gently. Taste to adjust salt and pepper if needed, then scatter the honey-glazed walnuts on top. Serve at room temperature.
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese...
Traditional Sweet Qatayef
The traditional sweet Qatayef are different in each home. Some people add almonds and pistachios,...
This Coconut Ashoura is pure happiness in a bowl. It is deliciously creamy, super nutritious, and...
Honey Lancashire Biscuits
These are traditional Lancashire biscuits, only healthier and cleaner replacing sugar with raw honey and using coconut oil. The result? Delicious biscuits, that kids enjoy baking, assembling and munching at. Its a sweet addition to your baking routine during feasts or play dates.
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Greek Salad is easy to prepare, and full of delicious flavours. It is a perfect salad option in the summer when the weather is too hot for good quality fresh lettuce. Serve it with Greek Chicken Souvlaki & flat bread to enjoy a full authentic Greek meal.
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal. We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils. Serve it with a simple green salad with […]