Black-Eyed Peas Stew
By shahdan • May 20, 2018
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of freshly chopped parsley adds beautiful colour and flavour to this all time favourite. This is not just comfort food at its best, it is also good for your health.
Remember to soak the black-eyed peas overnight or at least two hours before cooking.
- 250 gram black-eyed peas (about 1 cup soaked overnight in water) - لوبيا
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 large red bell pepper (diced) - فلفل رومي احمر
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 cup tomato juice (grated tomatoes) - عصير طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 cup water (OR stock) - ماء
- 1 handful parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Drain pre-soaked black-eyed peas and rinse with fresh water. Transfer to a pot, and cover with fresh water then add cumin, and boil on medium heat until cooked yet firm. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate pot, heat olive oil and sauté chopped onion on medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes). Add diced bell pepper and minced garlic and continue to cook while stirring for another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato juice, tomato paste, water, and the cooked black-eyed peas. Stir and cover. Leave to simmer on medium/low heat for 15-20 minutes. You may add a little more hot water if you feel it might dry-out. Adjust salt and pepper, sprinkle parsley, and serve hot next rice and your favourite protein dish for a complete meal.
Shredded Carrot & Coriander Salad
This is originally a Gordon Ramsay recipe for outdoor picnics and summer activities. However, we...
Balsamic Rosemary Chicken Fillets
الوصفه بالعربي This is the recipe you need for those super busy days. Toss the...
Creamy Turmeric Chicken
الوصفة بالعربي This Creamy Turmeric Chicken is a favourite in our house. I like to...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving. For the […]