Black-Eyed Peas Stew
By shahdan • May 20, 2018
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of freshly chopped parsley adds beautiful colour and flavour to this all time favourite. This is not just comfort food at its best, it is also good for your health.
Remember to soak the black-eyed peas overnight or at least two hours before cooking.
- 250 gram black-eyed peas (about 1 cup soaked overnight in water) - لوبيا
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 large red bell pepper (diced) - فلفل رومي احمر
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 cup tomato juice (grated tomatoes) - عصير طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 cup water (OR stock) - ماء
- 1 handful parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Drain pre-soaked black-eyed peas and rinse with fresh water. Transfer to a pot, and cover with fresh water then add cumin, and boil on medium heat until cooked yet firm. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate pot, heat olive oil and sauté chopped onion on medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes). Add diced bell pepper and minced garlic and continue to cook while stirring for another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato juice, tomato paste, water, and the cooked black-eyed peas. Stir and cover. Leave to simmer on medium/low heat for 15-20 minutes. You may add a little more hot water if you feel it might dry-out. Adjust salt and pepper, sprinkle parsley, and serve hot next rice and your favourite protein dish for a complete meal.
Mediterranean Vegetable Quinoa Salad
The Roasted Mediterranean Vegetable Quinoa is a perfect warm salad, side dish to your favourite...
Blondies (Golden Brownies)
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Who would have...
Rich Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
This rich & silky Tomato Pasta Sauce will be your new favorite pasta sauce. It is not just...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Traditional Rice Me’ammar is always a great crowd pleaser on the table. It is creamy, delicious and definitely an easy dish to prepare. The most challenging part however is the oven baking which might require your full attention, especially if you are baking this dish for the first time and still getting to know your […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]