Black-Eyed Peas Stew
By shahdan • May 20, 2018
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of freshly chopped parsley adds beautiful colour and flavour to this all time favourite. This is not just comfort food at its best, it is also good for your health.
Remember to soak the black-eyed peas overnight or at least two hours before cooking.
- 250 gram black-eyed peas (about 1 cup soaked overnight in water) - لوبيا
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 large red bell pepper (diced) - فلفل رومي احمر
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 cup tomato juice (grated tomatoes) - عصير طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 cup water (OR stock) - ماء
- 1 handful parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Drain pre-soaked black-eyed peas and rinse with fresh water. Transfer to a pot, and cover with fresh water then add cumin, and boil on medium heat until cooked yet firm. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate pot, heat olive oil and sauté chopped onion on medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes). Add diced bell pepper and minced garlic and continue to cook while stirring for another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato juice, tomato paste, water, and the cooked black-eyed peas. Stir and cover. Leave to simmer on medium/low heat for 15-20 minutes. You may add a little more hot water if you feel it might dry-out. Adjust salt and pepper, sprinkle parsley, and serve hot next rice and your favourite protein dish for a complete meal.
Raw Chocolate Whoopies with Banana Coconut Filling
It's nice to find a kids chocolate recipe that is sugar-free and that they would enjoy. These...
Quick Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
Transform everyday ingredients such as chicken, carrots and broccoli into an elegant and super...
Clear Zucchini Chicken Soup
الوصفة بالعربي A fresh yet hearty soup is like a warm hug! Especially when it is not...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]