Black-Eyed Peas Stew
By shahdan • May 20, 2018
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of freshly chopped parsley adds beautiful colour and flavour to this all time favourite. This is not just comfort food at its best, it is also good for your health.
Remember to soak the black-eyed peas overnight or at least two hours before cooking.
- 250 gram black-eyed peas (about 1 cup soaked overnight in water) - لوبيا
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin - كمون
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped) - بصلة
- 1/2 large red bell pepper (diced) - فلفل رومي احمر
- 2 medium garlic cloves (minced) - فصوص ثوم
- 2 cup tomato juice (grated tomatoes) - عصير طماطم
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 cup water (OR stock) - ماء
- 1 handful parsley (finely chopped) - بقدونس
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Drain pre-soaked black-eyed peas and rinse with fresh water. Transfer to a pot, and cover with fresh water then add cumin, and boil on medium heat until cooked yet firm. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate pot, heat olive oil and sauté chopped onion on medium heat until soft (about 5 minutes). Add diced bell pepper and minced garlic and continue to cook while stirring for another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato juice, tomato paste, water, and the cooked black-eyed peas. Stir and cover. Leave to simmer on medium/low heat for 15-20 minutes. You may add a little more hot water if you feel it might dry-out. Adjust salt and pepper, sprinkle parsley, and serve hot next rice and your favourite protein dish for a complete meal.
Salmon Philadelphia Sushi Roll
Always thought sushi is difficult to make but it turned out easy to prepare at home in no time. The...
Balsamic Dijon Roasted Steak
الوصفه بالعربي This recipe was an entry in the #TheMeatCompete. A super easy &...
I find this recipe a lot simpler than several other Sharkaseya sauce recipes and the result is...
Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble
This Strawberry & Cream with Assaleya Crumble is the perfect dessert for a large gathering. It easily pleases the crowd… who wouldn’t appreciate fresh cream and strawberries with a sweet crunch like no other? My team and I came up with it for our Makar Farm Pop Up Lunch featuring Lebanese – Egyptian inspired dishes. […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]
Egyptian Roasted Cauliflower
الوصفة بالعربي If you love the traditional Egyptian fried cauliflower, you will fall in love with this roasted version. Same taste, only healthier!
Oven-Baked Fish with Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي The beauty of this homemade oven-baked fish lies in its simplicity. Unlike most ready-cooked fish dishes in Egypt that use many herbs and spices, this marinade is very basic which allows you to enjoy the pure and delicious taste of white fish meat. I am using sea bream fish (دنيس), yet you can […]