The Best Tres Leches Cake
By sara belal • February 18, 2016
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com.
Tres Leches cake is a Latin American recipe that is usually a sponge cake soaked in three types of milk (evaporated, condensed and heavy cream), this cake is the perfect sweet dessert if you have time to prepare it and want to make something truly indulging & impressive. Make it once and I assure you everyone you know will be chasing you for more. I ate this cake in Mexico & here in Egypt at TablaLuna and I’ve been hooked ever since…
- 2 cup all purpose flour - دقيق أبيض
- 6 large egg yolk - صفار البيض
- 6 large egg whites - بياض بيض
- 1.5 cup sugar - سكر
- 2 teaspoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- 1/2 cup milk - لبن
- 1 teaspoon vanilla - فانيليا
- 1 can condensed milk - لبن مركز محلى
- 1 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 1 can evaporated milk - حليب مبخر
- 4 tablespoon water - ماء
- 1 cup sugar - سكر
- 3-4 egg whites - بياض بيض
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar (optional) - كريم الترتار
Step by step
- Position oven rack in the bottom 1/3 of the oven and preheat oven to 180C.
- To prepare the cake, lightly grease then dust flour to a 23x30cm baking dish and set aside (I used a 25cm spring foam pan) .
- Add baking powder to flour and sift them.
- Add the egg whites to a medium bowl and beat it on low speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar while continuously beating. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after the addition of each.
- Add sifted flour mix to egg mixture, alternating with milk. (Do this quickly so the batter does not lose volume.) Add vanilla.
- Add the sponge cake mixture to the baking dish and let it bake until golden (about 25 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- To prepare the cream topping: Combine evaporated milk, condensed milk and heavy cream in a blender and blend on high speed (or just whisk it really quickly). Remove the cake from the oven and while still warm, pour this cream mixture over it.
- Let it sit and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- To make the icing: Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat 3 egg whites to soft peaks (here add cream of tartar if using any). While beating, add hot icing in a stream. Beat until all icing has been absorbed, the mixture cools, and a glossy icing forms.
- Spread the frosting over the cake, and Using a blowtorch toast the frosting, or if you don't have a torch place the pan under an oven broiler until lightly browned (be careful in this step not to burn it). Cut and serve, this type of frosting is best served within an hour, but I usually keep for a day and it still holds its shape.
- Note: There is an easier frosting which is even more popular and considered the authentic Tres Leches, just beat one cup whipped cream and 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar (سكر بودره) with 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the chilled cake.
Zesty Fresh Spinach & Beetroot Salad
Vibrant, nutritious and full of bold textures and flavours... This salad will blow your mind away!...
Blue Cheese & Walnut Sandwich
If you are a blue cheese lover, there's a high chance that this sandwich will become your new...
Super Tasty Super Simple Asparagus
This is the type of recipe you will find yourself doing over and over again for your everyday meals...
Date & Almond Qatayef
Date & Almond Qatayef marries two traditional Ramadani ingredients into a mouthful of yumminess. Crunchy outer layer of Qatayef with gooey sweet dates inside, and a surprise bitter crunch from the almonds, will make this desert your favorite this Ramadan. It is easy to prepare in advance and fry 10 minutes before serving. For the […]
Banana Nice Cream With Pistachios & Mastic
Simple yet so delicious and guilt-free, this nice cream with pistachio and mastic is a must-try this summer! It is also a luscious addition to your Ramadani table. Nice cream is frozen banana blended into ice cream texture without added dairy or sugar. This recipe is full of Middle Eastern flavors like the delicate mastic and […]
Pomegranate Jallab with Silvered Almonds
Such a simple refreshing drink, this Pomegranate Jallab is a popular drink in Lebanon and Syria on hot summer days or after a heavy meal. So easy to prepare in individual cups in a couple of minutes. You can also use date molasses for a different taste.