The Best Tres Leches Cake
By sara belal • February 18, 2016
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com.
Tres Leches cake is a Latin American recipe that is usually a sponge cake soaked in three types of milk (evaporated, condensed and heavy cream), this cake is the perfect sweet dessert if you have time to prepare it and want to make something truly indulging & impressive. Make it once and I assure you everyone you know will be chasing you for more. I ate this cake in Mexico & here in Egypt at TablaLuna and I’ve been hooked ever since…
- 2 cup all purpose flour - دقيق أبيض
- 6 large egg yolk - صفار البيض
- 6 large egg whites - بياض بيض
- 1.5 cup sugar - سكر
- 2 teaspoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- 1/2 cup milk - لبن
- 1 teaspoon vanilla - فانيليا
- 1 can condensed milk - لبن مركز محلى
- 1 cup cooking cream - كريم الطهي
- 1 can evaporated milk - حليب مبخر
- 4 tablespoon water - ماء
- 1 cup sugar - سكر
- 3-4 egg whites - بياض بيض
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar (optional) - كريم الترتار
Step by step
- Position oven rack in the bottom 1/3 of the oven and preheat oven to 180C.
- To prepare the cake, lightly grease then dust flour to a 23x30cm baking dish and set aside (I used a 25cm spring foam pan) .
- Add baking powder to flour and sift them.
- Add the egg whites to a medium bowl and beat it on low speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar while continuously beating. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after the addition of each.
- Add sifted flour mix to egg mixture, alternating with milk. (Do this quickly so the batter does not lose volume.) Add vanilla.
- Add the sponge cake mixture to the baking dish and let it bake until golden (about 25 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- To prepare the cream topping: Combine evaporated milk, condensed milk and heavy cream in a blender and blend on high speed (or just whisk it really quickly). Remove the cake from the oven and while still warm, pour this cream mixture over it.
- Let it sit and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- To make the icing: Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat 3 egg whites to soft peaks (here add cream of tartar if using any). While beating, add hot icing in a stream. Beat until all icing has been absorbed, the mixture cools, and a glossy icing forms.
- Spread the frosting over the cake, and Using a blowtorch toast the frosting, or if you don't have a torch place the pan under an oven broiler until lightly browned (be careful in this step not to burn it). Cut and serve, this type of frosting is best served within an hour, but I usually keep for a day and it still holds its shape.
- Note: There is an easier frosting which is even more popular and considered the authentic Tres Leches, just beat one cup whipped cream and 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar (سكر بودره) with 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the chilled cake.
Blondies (Golden Brownies)
This recipe is an entry to #MyBestDish cooking competition with Easy-Pan.com. Who would have...
Chilled Avocado Cucumber Soup
Photo Credit: Yehia ElAlaily The Chilled Avocado Cucumber Soup can be garnished with shrimps on...
Pomegranate Jallab with Silvered Almonds
Such a simple refreshing drink, this Pomegranate Jallab is a popular drink in Lebanon and...
Classic Egyptian Kahk
This is the recipe for the classic Egyptian Kahk that I bake every Eid Fitr with my children to keep the festive traditions in the family. The recipe is quite easy and hassle-free, but most importantly, it makes our favourite homemade Kahk which we find tastier and much more special than any other store-bought alternative. The […]
Classic 1-2-3-4 Marble Cake
Classic 1-2-3-4 cake is the first cake I learned to bake with my mother. As a child, I really appreciated the fact that the cake name helped me memorise and learn the basic cake proportions by heart: ONE for 1 cup milk and 1 cup butter, TWO for 2 cups sugar, THREE for 3 cups […]
Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins
Perfect for our daily chocolate cravings, these (refined-sugar-free) Tahini & Banana Chocolate Muffins are not only moist and rich, but they also carry lots of clean & healthy ingredients inside them. They make the perfect snack for grown-ups and kids alike. This recipe is super easy to prepare, because all the ingredients are simply mixed […]