By shahdan • June 14, 2015
If cooking rice is something you think you cannot do, you haven’t tried cooking basmati rice. Basmati is the answer to anyone who finds cooking regular rice a nightmare. It is so easy to cook and you end up with fluffy rice that it much lighter and tastier than traditional Egyptian rice.
- 2 cup basmati rice - أرز بسمتي
- 4 cup boiling water (from the kettle) - ماء ساخن
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1 large bay leaf (optional) - ورق لاورا
- 3 pod cardamom (optional) - حبهان
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional OR oil for vegan option) - زبدة
Step by step
- In a sieve, rinse the rice with water.
- Place the rice in a pot and stir in 4 cups of boiling water, salt, cardamom pods and bay leaf.
- Bring the rice to the boil then reduce the heat to a minimum and cover.
- Allow the rice to cook for 10- 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. (But don't stir the rice in the process).
- Remove the cardamom pods and the bay leaf, and use a fork to fluff up the rice.
- Optional: You may choose to add a knob of butter while the rice is still hot and lightly fluff up the rice and the melting butter with a fork.
Lemon & Butter Fish en Papillote
Simple fish dish that truly impresses with its little gift like look and deliciousness. Once you...
Soy & Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry
الوصفة بالعربي This luscious chicken stir-fry dish is easy, delicious and packed with...
Beetroot & Goat Cheese Salad
The combination of beetroot and goat cheese is just heavenly. The honey-glazed almonds add...
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Brown Rice Mujaddara
A wholesome comfort dish from the Levant, this Rice Mujaddara is vegan, full of protein and definite winner for any family meal. We used brown rice instead of regular, to heighten its nutritional value and it turned out incredibly tasty with the earthy flavors of the lentils. Serve it with a simple green salad with […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]
Creamy Two Salmon & Onion Lasagne
This Creamy Two Salmon & Onion Lasagne is known as Lasagnes Aux Deux Saumons in its native, France. Recipe is by Dina Hamdi. This Lasagnes Aux Deux Saumons recipe has been on my to-do-list for a very long time! My inspiration for this recipe was the same dish I tried back in Paris in a restaurant […]