By shahdan • June 14, 2015
If cooking rice is something you think you cannot do, you haven’t tried cooking basmati rice. Basmati is the answer to anyone who finds cooking regular rice a nightmare. It is so easy to cook and you end up with fluffy rice that it much lighter and tastier than traditional Egyptian rice.
- 2 cup basmati rice - أرز بسمتي
- 4 cup boiling water (from the kettle) - ماء ساخن
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1 large bay leaf (optional) - ورق لاورا
- 3 pod cardamom (optional) - حبهان
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional OR oil for vegan option) - زبدة
Step by step
- In a sieve, rinse the rice with water.
- Place the rice in a pot and stir in 4 cups of boiling water, salt, cardamom pods and bay leaf.
- Bring the rice to the boil then reduce the heat to a minimum and cover.
- Allow the rice to cook for 10- 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. (But don't stir the rice in the process).
- Remove the cardamom pods and the bay leaf, and use a fork to fluff up the rice.
- Optional: You may choose to add a knob of butter while the rice is still hot and lightly fluff up the rice and the melting butter with a fork.
Salmon Philadelphia Sushi Roll
Always thought sushi is difficult to make but it turned out easy to prepare at home in no time. The...
Traditional Kahk – Egyptian Festive Cookies
Egyptian Eid cookies or what we call "kahk" is a dessert that is usually baked in happy occasions...
Clear Zucchini Chicken Soup
الوصفة بالعربي A fresh yet hearty soup is like a warm hug! Especially when it is not...
Good-for-You Bulgur Koshary
This good-for-you koshary dish can easily beat your traditional one. Made from nutritious ingredients such as bulgur, chickpeas, lentils, fresh tomatoes and oven-roasted onions, it still carries all the authentic and yummy koshary flavours without the extra carbs. Definitely a must-try if you love kohasry and are looking for a healthier recipe.
If you find yourself cooking rice daily, you may want to try cooking freekeh instead. It is filling, full of nutritional benefits, and simply delicious. It will be the star of your every meal.
Spiced Rice with Beef & Spring Onions
If you love hearty & filling homemade dishes, you will adore this one-pot Spiced Rice with Beef and Spring Onions. The flavours are simply superior! The ingredient helping all the flavours pop, is the spring onion. Whether you choose to serve it as a side rice dish, or as a main dish (since its full of beef), […]
The egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally found the perfect one! Credit goes to a friend’s aunt who shared […]