By shahdan • June 14, 2015
If cooking rice is something you think you cannot do, you haven’t tried cooking basmati rice. Basmati is the answer to anyone who finds cooking regular rice a nightmare. It is so easy to cook and you end up with fluffy rice that it much lighter and tastier than traditional Egyptian rice.
- 2 cup basmati rice - أرز بسمتي
- 4 cup boiling water (from the kettle) - ماء ساخن
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1 large bay leaf (optional) - ورق لاورا
- 3 pod cardamom (optional) - حبهان
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional OR oil for vegan option) - زبدة
Step by step
- In a sieve, rinse the rice with water.
- Place the rice in a pot and stir in 4 cups of boiling water, salt, cardamom pods and bay leaf.
- Bring the rice to the boil then reduce the heat to a minimum and cover.
- Allow the rice to cook for 10- 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. (But don't stir the rice in the process).
- Remove the cardamom pods and the bay leaf, and use a fork to fluff up the rice.
- Optional: You may choose to add a knob of butter while the rice is still hot and lightly fluff up the rice and the melting butter with a fork.
Poached Egg with Fresh Spinach & Salmon
Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is a great time to spoil yourself and...
Dill & Lemon Salmon Tagliatelle
Succulent and flaky salmon chunks are served on a bed of Italian tagliatelle and covered with a...
Chicken & Broccoli Filo Pie
The chicken & broccoli filling to this filo pie is so delicious and heartwarming. The cheese...
Creamy Two Salmon & Onion Lasagne
This Creamy Two Salmon & Onion Lasagne is known as Lasagnes Aux Deux Saumons in its native, France. Recipe is by Dina Hamdi. This Lasagnes Aux Deux Saumons recipe has been on my to-do-list for a very long time! My inspiration for this recipe was the same dish I tried back in Paris in a restaurant […]
The Egyptian keshk is such a hearty and comforting Egyptian home-cooked dish. The fried caramelized onions bring the whole dish together. Serve it with simple cooked chicken and white rice, and enjoy every creamy mouthful of this classic Egyptian meal. I tested several home-cooked Egyptian Keshk recipes until I finally reached the perfect one! But the secret to a great Keshk dish […]
No-Bake Mac & Cheese
This is a quick and easy No-Bake Mac & Cheese that my kids love and ask for, especially during the winter season. It is not the lightest meal, but it is hearty and delicious. The cheese sauce is made out of a relatively thinner béchamel sauce where the cheese thickens the consistency making it just […]
Garlicky Pasta with Cauliflower & Peas
Super delicious and comforting, this Garlicky Pasta with Cauliflower & Peas is just the right winter carb. We chose Fusilli for this dish because of its spiral/ textured shape which helps the pasta to better hold onto the sauce with its simple yet flavourful ingredients. Prepare it for a heartwarming dinner then take leftovers (if […]