By shahdan • June 14, 2015
If cooking rice is something you think you cannot do, you haven’t tried cooking basmati rice. Basmati is the answer to anyone who finds cooking regular rice a nightmare. It is so easy to cook and you end up with fluffy rice that it much lighter and tastier than traditional Egyptian rice.
- 2 cup basmati rice - أرز بسمتي
- 4 cup boiling water (from the kettle) - ماء ساخن
- 1/2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 1 large bay leaf (optional) - ورق لاورا
- 3 pod cardamom (optional) - حبهان
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional OR oil for vegan option) - زبدة
Step by step
- In a sieve, rinse the rice with water.
- Place the rice in a pot and stir in 4 cups of boiling water, salt, cardamom pods and bay leaf.
- Bring the rice to the boil then reduce the heat to a minimum and cover.
- Allow the rice to cook for 10- 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. (But don't stir the rice in the process).
- Remove the cardamom pods and the bay leaf, and use a fork to fluff up the rice.
- Optional: You may choose to add a knob of butter while the rice is still hot and lightly fluff up the rice and the melting butter with a fork.
Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
I don't find Mahshi that interesting for dinner parties, therefore I decided to take the best...
Roasted Thyme Chicken & Potatoes
الوصفة بالعربي Another popular Egyptian classic... A rustic oven dish with one whole...
Turmeric Basmati Rice
Yellow turmeric rice is the perfect companion to all curry dishes! I also like to serve it with...
Creamy Salmon Fillets Farfelle
Creamy & heavenly, the Salmon Farfelle Pasta is a restaurant-quality dish, in the comfort of your own home. It is definitely the perfect dish for special occasions.
Smoked Salmon Tagliatelle
This Smoked Salmon Tagliatelle is the simplest way to the heart of a loved one. It impresses with its salmon flavor and creaminess, while it is quick and easy to prepare.
Rich Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
This rich & silky Tomato Pasta Sauce will be your new favorite pasta sauce. It is not just perfect for everyday but also great for large gatherings when you need a beautiful bowl of pasta. Cooked with ripe Egyptian tomatoes, and garnished with fresh green basil, flavorful Parmesan shaves & creamy Buffalo mozzarella, this pasta […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]