Banana & Date Whole-Wheat Cake
By yasmine • May 26, 2015
I came across a lot of baking recipes when I tried to introduce my toddler to sweets without adding processed sugars to her diet! While this recipe inspiration comes from Gwyneth Paltrow’s ‘It’s All Good’ targeting the gluten and dairy intolerant, I decided to make the necessary changes to keep it wholesome and nutritious keeping it delicious for the whole family! I would definitely advise you to wait for fresh black dates season in Egypt (August to October) to do this recipe – it transforms the cake. Otherwise consider using Sajei or Majdoul dates (sold at large supermarkets and some gourmet stores).
- 3 banana (preferably overripe) - موز
- 10 dates (fresh black sweet dates or majdoul dates - pitted cut small) - بلح
- 1/2 cup olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/2 cup almond milk - حليب اللوز
- 1/2 cup molasses (OR date syrup / agave syrup / maple syrup) - عسل أسود
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 2 cup whole wheat flour - دقيق القمح الكامل
- 2 tablespoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- pinch salt - ملح
- pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- pumpkin seeds (OR sliced almonds - optional) - بذور اليقطين
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Mash the bananas well into a cream, add all the wet ingredients and mix well with a handheld mixer.
- Mix the dry ingredients including the cinnamon and nut meg and add it slowly to the wet ingredients while still mixing.
- Once the dough is ready, place in a 20cm diameter baking tin. You can grease the tin with olive oil to avoid sticking.
- Mix the cut dates and seeds or chopped almonds with one tablespoon wheat flour before you distribute it evenly along the batter in the tin. Using flour prevents the dates from falling to the bottom of the cake making sure it stays in the center of the batter.
- Place it in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes. Before serving, while it is still warm, glaze the top with some raw molasses or agave syrup for a nice gloss and a caramelised crust.
Cheat Mango & Mint Pavlova
Nothing beats a home-made dessert when hosting a dinner party. With our Egyptian big impressive...
الوصفة بالعربي A fun and tasty dessert Recipe uploaded by Dina...
Fresh Coriander & Cucumber Salad
Serve and enjoy this salad with CairoCooking's Asian dishes. With super simple ingredients, this...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]