Banana & Date Whole-Wheat Cake
By yasmine • May 26, 2015
I came across a lot of baking recipes when I tried to introduce my toddler to sweets without adding processed sugars to her diet! While this recipe inspiration comes from Gwyneth Paltrow’s ‘It’s All Good’ targeting the gluten and dairy intolerant, I decided to make the necessary changes to keep it wholesome and nutritious keeping it delicious for the whole family! I would definitely advise you to wait for fresh black dates season in Egypt (August to October) to do this recipe – it transforms the cake. Otherwise consider using Sajei or Majdoul dates (sold at large supermarkets and some gourmet stores).
- 3 banana (preferably overripe) - موز
- 10 dates (fresh black sweet dates or majdoul dates - pitted cut small) - بلح
- 1/2 cup olive oil - زيت زيتون
- 1/2 cup almond milk - حليب اللوز
- 1/2 cup molasses (OR date syrup / agave syrup / maple syrup) - عسل أسود
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract - خلاصة الفانيليا
- 2 cup whole wheat flour - دقيق القمح الكامل
- 2 tablespoon baking powder - باكينج باودر
- pinch salt - ملح
- pinch nutmeg - جوزة الطيب
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon powder - قرفة
- pumpkin seeds (OR sliced almonds - optional) - بذور اليقطين
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Mash the bananas well into a cream, add all the wet ingredients and mix well with a handheld mixer.
- Mix the dry ingredients including the cinnamon and nut meg and add it slowly to the wet ingredients while still mixing.
- Once the dough is ready, place in a 20cm diameter baking tin. You can grease the tin with olive oil to avoid sticking.
- Mix the cut dates and seeds or chopped almonds with one tablespoon wheat flour before you distribute it evenly along the batter in the tin. Using flour prevents the dates from falling to the bottom of the cake making sure it stays in the center of the batter.
- Place it in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes. Before serving, while it is still warm, glaze the top with some raw molasses or agave syrup for a nice gloss and a caramelised crust.
Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
I don't find Mahshi that interesting for dinner parties, therefore I decided to take the best...
This pan-seared scallops recipe is very easy and simple. Scallops are highly nutritious, full of...
Lentil & Beetroot Salad
This simple lentils & beetroot salad is wholesome and filling during winter and summer. It’s a great for post-workout or late night snack. The lentils also hold themselves well for your lunchbox in case you’re on the go.
Oat & Fruit Pancakes
Perfect for the lunchbox with added fruits, as finger food for little kids on the go, or at home with a drizzle of pure honey, these Oat Pancakes are simply delicious and so easy to prepare a night in advance!
Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap
Crunchy and colourful, the Fresh Veggies & Cream Cheese Wrap will definitely impress your kids and add a new dimension to their every day lunchbox. Using only basic fresh ingredients from your fridge, this wrap will ensure your kids are eating their veggies in the most exciting ways. Also, try cutting your wrap into bite-size sushi-like rolls […]