Baked Chicken Fingers
By shahdan • September 12, 2015
If my daughter had the option, she would have eaten fried breaded chicken EVERY SINGLE DAY, can you relate?!! I have been testing different ways to achieve a healthier baked version of her favourite nuggets and panee, without compromising on the taste and crispiness. My main problem was the ‘sandy’ and dry breadcrumbs after the baking process, which made her never approve my baked chicken. She also never liked the cornflakes options, which most of the time, ended up dry as well. In this recipe however, the breadcrumbs achieve the right crispiness, because the chicken is dipped in a mixture of yoghurt, oil and egg white before dusting in breadcrumbs. This recipe is great for play dates, lunchbox, and even grown-up gatherings, served with a dip of honey mustard on the side.
- 400 gram chicken breast fillet - صدور فيليه الدجاج
- to taste salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder - بودرة ثوم
- 1 small lime - ليمون بلدي
- 150 gram yoghurt (around 1 1/4 commercial size cup) - زبادي
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil - زيت نباتي
- 1 large egg whites - بياض بيض
- 2 cup breadcrumbs - بقسماط
- For the Honey Mustard - للمسطردة بالعسل
- 4 tablespoon yoghurt (preferably greek yoghurt/ or light mayo) - زبادي
- 1.5 tablespoon mustard - مسطردة
- 1 tablespoon honey - عسل
- salt and pepper (to taste) - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Cut the chicken into fingers, or ask the butcher to prepare the chicken for you in advance.
- Marinate the chicken fingers in salt, pepper, garlic powder and one lime. For best results, leave to marinate overnight.
- In a bowl, combine the yoghurt with the egg white and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
- Place bread crumbs in a different plate/ bowl and set aside.
- Heat oven to 200C.
- To prepare your tray, brush the tray with a little oil then add the parchment paper. (This is an optional step to help the parchment stick to the tray). Next, brush the parchment paper generously with 1 tablespoon oil. You may add a little extra for a large tray.
- Dip the chicken fingers (one at a time) in the yoghurt mixture then coat thoroughly with the breadcrumbs and arrange on the baking tray.
- Bake for 20- 30 minutes, while turning the chicken half way through until coating is golden and chicken is cooked through.
- To prepare the honey mustard dip, simply mix all the dip ingredients together in a small bowl and serve with the chicken.
The Charlotte Cake
An easy no-bake cake layered with biscuits and fruits! Recipe by Mai...
Crunchy Asian Salad
Refreshing, crunchy and full of flavour! This is the salad to choose when you are serving Asian...
Goat Cheese & Sun-dried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich
The Goat Cheese & Sundried Tomato Multigrain Sandwich is not only nutritious, but it is...
Some recipes are good to know by heart, like this Classic Crepe. It comes in handy in the weekends and school holidays when you want to prepare a fun breakfast for the family. Fillings are a personal choice and the options are endless. For sweet crepe, these can be served with sugar, jam, Nutella, or […]
Beef Shawerma in 30 Minutes
Yes wherever you are, you can have delicious Egyptian-style Beef Shawarma in 30 minutes only and the secret ingredient is minced beef. It cooks super quickly and it is seasoned in the same pan while cooking. The result is mouthwatering tender beef shawarma ready for juicy Egyptian street-style sandwiches. In gatherings, we like to serve […]
Oven-Baked Breaded Kofta (Kofta Panee)
This is a new “improved” recipe for everyone’s favourite kofta panee! It is oven-baked to perfection, and most importantly, it stays nice and moist even when eaten cold. Breaded Kofta is great for play dates (with rice & molokheyya, or with pasta). It is ideal for lunchbox sandwiches, and makes a great crowd-pleaser when served nicely with […]