Hearty Harira Soup
By yasmine • May 17, 2015
My parents lived in Algeria for a year before I was born. There, my mum learned a couple of signature recipes that she made her own and these became a tradition (especially in Ramadan) on our dinner table – like Boreik (coming soon) and Warm Yoghurt Soup. This hearty and filling soup is one of those recipes she learned and simplified to match her speedy lifestyle without compromising on its deliciousness.
Note: The onions should be really browned so the meat also takes on a brownish colour from the onions! You can leave out hummus or substitute farro with noodles if you don’t have any.
- 500 gram beef رقبة بتلو - لحمة
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 onions (minced) - بصل
- 2 piece mastic / mesteka - مستكة
- 3 piece cardamom - حبهان
- 2 liter boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped white & green) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1/2 cup hummus (or one small can - optional) - حمص
- green chili pepper (or red chili pepper) - فلفل أخضر حار
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Melt the butter on medium heat, add mesteka and onions and let it fry until browned.
- Add meat pieces and fry for 15 to 20 minutes while adding salt and pepper and stirring occasionally.
- When the meat is browned, add 1 liter boiling water or just enough to cover the meat. Reduce heat, cover and let it cook further for one hour.
- As soon as meat is tender, add the tomato paste and let it thicken for another 10 minutes (at that point you will see the fat separating from the sauce – meaning metsabeka).
- Add the rest of the water, chilli as desired, farro, hummus and celery and let it cook for another 15 minutes.
- Once all the ingredients are cooked through, the soup is ready. Before serving, remove the chilli and sprinkle a handful of dried mint on top for garnish and a special kick.
Authentic Neapolitan Italian Pizza
There is nothing quite as comforting as a home-baked treat that fills the house with heart-warming...
Sweet Couscous has always been a classic on my grandmother's dessert table. As children, we used to...
Poached Egg with Fresh Spinach & Salmon
Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is a great time to spoil yourself and...
Mongolian Beef Strips
The Mongolian Beef Strips dish is a favorite at any Chinese restaurant. This is a simplified recipe to achieving it at home. It is a perfect home cooked meal to serve with white rice and a yummy Asian-style salad (check our selection). In this recipe we do not deep fry the beef strips, but it […]
Middle Eastern Open Minced Meat Pie
This Open Minced Beef Pie is a feast of Middle Eastern flavours. Whether at brunch, or dinner parties, it is always a show-stopper and a huge crowd pleaser.
This Kebda Baladi recipe is by far the easiest recipe ever! It takes less than 20 minutes and you won’t even need to chop onions for this dish.
Mexican Chicken Fajitas
A platter of Mexican Chicken Fajitas served with tortillas, guacamole and sour cream is always a fun & filling meal for everyone on a weekday, and a big hit for casual friends’ get-togethers. It is easily prepared in 30 minutes and does not require fancy ingredients. For best results, marinate the chicken overnight.