Hearty Harira Soup
By yasmine • May 17, 2015
My parents lived in Algeria for a year before I was born. There, my mum learned a couple of signature recipes that she made her own and these became a tradition (especially in Ramadan) on our dinner table – like Boreik (coming soon) and Warm Yoghurt Soup. This hearty and filling soup is one of those recipes she learned and simplified to match her speedy lifestyle without compromising on its deliciousness.
Note: The onions should be really browned so the meat also takes on a brownish colour from the onions! You can leave out hummus or substitute farro with noodles if you don’t have any.
- 500 gram beef رقبة بتلو - لحمة
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 onions (minced) - بصل
- 2 piece mastic / mesteka - مستكة
- 3 piece cardamom - حبهان
- 2 liter boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped white & green) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1/2 cup hummus (or one small can - optional) - حمص
- green chili pepper (or red chili pepper) - فلفل أخضر حار
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Melt the butter on medium heat, add mesteka and onions and let it fry until browned.
- Add meat pieces and fry for 15 to 20 minutes while adding salt and pepper and stirring occasionally.
- When the meat is browned, add 1 liter boiling water or just enough to cover the meat. Reduce heat, cover and let it cook further for one hour.
- As soon as meat is tender, add the tomato paste and let it thicken for another 10 minutes (at that point you will see the fat separating from the sauce – meaning metsabeka).
- Add the rest of the water, chilli as desired, farro, hummus and celery and let it cook for another 15 minutes.
- Once all the ingredients are cooked through, the soup is ready. Before serving, remove the chilli and sprinkle a handful of dried mint on top for garnish and a special kick.
Special Minty Zucchini
الوصفة بالعربي This is a simple yet delicious vegetable dish using ingredients...
Salmon Philadelphia Sushi Roll
Always thought sushi is difficult to make but it turned out easy to prepare at home in no time. The...
Fast & Healthy No-Mayo Coleslaw
This is a healthier version of the creamy, crunchy classic version. Just throw one pack of coleslaw...
Juicy Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Fillets
A delicious chicken dish that is easy to prepare and looks great on the table, the Spinach-stuffed Chicken Fillets is wholesome, high on protein and nutrients and really a full meal in a dish. The cheese addition is to add creaminess but you can omit it and still enjoy every bite. The tomato sauce suggested […]
Egyptian Fatta with Beef Cubes
This is the Traditional Egyptian Fatta we grew up smelling and eating in our homes on feast days and on special occasions. The aroma in the house while cooking this dish brings back beautiful family memories. Using beef cubes, I learned to cook this recipe easily for our family meals, not just for big gatherings. […]
Freekeh Beraam With Chicken
This Freekeh Beraam with Chicken is a perfect comfort dish with all the delicious beraam flavours and spices aroma. It is light and nutritious, without compromising on taste, and will be the star of your dinner party table. This dish is best served with a green salad.
Ginger & Lemon Steak a la Jamie Oliver
الوصفة بالعربي Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Chinese Rib Eye Steak (Jamie’s 30 minutes meals series), this steak has become a favourite in our households. Unlike heavy creamy sauces that we usually serve with our meat, Jamie’s on-the-board dressing for this special steak, is light, refreshing and bursting with mind-blowing flavours. In the original recipe, the meat is rubbed with Chinese Szechwan […]