Hearty Harira Soup
By yasmine • May 17, 2015
My parents lived in Algeria for a year before I was born. There, my mum learned a couple of signature recipes that she made her own and these became a tradition (especially in Ramadan) on our dinner table – like Boreik (coming soon) and Warm Yoghurt Soup. This hearty and filling soup is one of those recipes she learned and simplified to match her speedy lifestyle without compromising on its deliciousness.
Note: The onions should be really browned so the meat also takes on a brownish colour from the onions! You can leave out hummus or substitute farro with noodles if you don’t have any.
- 500 gram beef رقبة بتلو - لحمة
- 1 tablespoon butter - زبدة
- 2 onions (minced) - بصل
- 2 piece mastic / mesteka - مستكة
- 3 piece cardamom - حبهان
- 2 liter boiling water - ماء ساخن
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped white & green) - كرفس افرنجي
- 1 cup freekeh - فريك
- 1/2 cup hummus (or one small can - optional) - حمص
- green chili pepper (or red chili pepper) - فلفل أخضر حار
- salt and pepper - ملح و فلفل
Step by step
- Melt the butter on medium heat, add mesteka and onions and let it fry until browned.
- Add meat pieces and fry for 15 to 20 minutes while adding salt and pepper and stirring occasionally.
- When the meat is browned, add 1 liter boiling water or just enough to cover the meat. Reduce heat, cover and let it cook further for one hour.
- As soon as meat is tender, add the tomato paste and let it thicken for another 10 minutes (at that point you will see the fat separating from the sauce – meaning metsabeka).
- Add the rest of the water, chilli as desired, farro, hummus and celery and let it cook for another 15 minutes.
- Once all the ingredients are cooked through, the soup is ready. Before serving, remove the chilli and sprinkle a handful of dried mint on top for garnish and a special kick.
Wholewheat & Oats Fruity Pancakes
These nutritious wholewheat pancakes with oats and fruits are made delicious with added bananas...
Goop’s Broccoli & Arugula Soup
الوصفة بالعربي This is an original Goop detox recipe that I used to prepare for...
The Charlotte Cake
An easy no-bake cake layered with biscuits and fruits! Recipe by Mai...
Zaatar & Lime Chicken with Roasted Onions
If you bought or were gifted Zaatar mix from Lebanon or Palestine, then this Zaatar & Lime Chicken dish is just what you need to savor this beautiful authentic herb mix along with a citrussy and tender juicy chicken. Aromatic, succulent and full of flavor, this recipe is straightforward and easy to execute. The addition […]
Steak Frites with Mustard Sauce
Steak Frites is a French comfort dish… Always a crowd pleaser, especially when elegantly served with creamy mustard sauce on the side. Absolutely delicious!!
Roasted Chicken with Garlic & Balsamic
The recipe for this Garlic & Balsamic Baked Chicken is effortless, yet the end result is juicy tender chicken, with wonderful flavours and aroma. Just marinate a couple of hours in advance, and bake one hour before serving! This chicken is definitely a great crowd pleaser.
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]