Eggplant Upside-Down Fatta
By shahdan • September 23, 2015
Eggplants, yoghurt, garlic and golden crispy bread are just a match made in heaven. Every eggplant lover has to try this recipe – it might seem like a salad since it is not served hot, but the garlicky tomato sauce begs to differ.
- 1 kg eggplant (3-4 pieces - cut in cubes) - باذنجان رومي
- 1/2 cup olive oil (for roasting eggplants, bread and garlic for sauce) - زيت زيتون
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 3 baladi bread (cut in medium squares) - خبز بلدي/ مصري
- 850 gram yoghurt (about 8 small yoghurt cups) - زبادي
- 2 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 15-17 garlic cloves (minced for yoghurt and for sauce) - فصوص ثوم
- 4 tomatoes (peeled and blended into juice) - طماطم
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional) - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1 handful pine nuts (optional - OR sliced almonds OR raw cashews) - صنوبر
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C and line two baking trays with foil or parchment.
- Drizzle the cubed eggplants with 2 tablespoons olive oil and pepper then spread them on the baking tray and place in the middle of the oven. Make sure you toss the cubes around at least a couple of times during cooking. It should be cooked through by 45-50 minutes - make sure you can squeeze it.
- Drizzle the baladi squares with 2 tablespoons olive oil and spread on baking tray and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden and crisp. If you can't place both trays next to each other, then put the bread in the upper shelf and make sure to toss it at least once.
- Mix the yoghurt with the tahini, salt and about 10 to 12 cloves of minced garlic. Set aside.
- Use two table spoons olive oil to fry the remaining mixed garlic (around 5 cloves). Before it turns brown, add the vinegar then the juice of 4 tomatoes, the paste, salt and pepper and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. It should get a bit darker and thicker.
- Once all components are ready, let them cool for 10 minutes before you start layering. Fold the cooled eggplant cubes into the yoghurt mix making sure it is entirely coated.
- Place the eggplant yoghurt in the serving dish, followed by the tomato sauce then half of the crispy bread. The rest can be served in a side dish for additions.
- Toast some pine nuts (here I used cashews) and sprinkle it on top.
Easy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
This is the easiest recipe to achieve a yummy Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup. With simple...
Chicken Meatballs & Cauliflower Alfredo Spaghetti
It is a rich meal full of hidden veggies! The meatballs on their own could be used in kids...
Cinnamon Star Cookies
A childhood favorite, these cinnamon star cookies are a nutty, cinnamony and sweet treat for...
Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) with Prunes
Traditional Kabab Halla (Beef Stew) will always be the ultimate comfort food in our Egyptian homes. It is a delicious meal for the everyday, and always a crowd pleaser in big events. I especially love to include it in my large gathering menus because it is the perfect make-ahead dish. It allows me to focus […]
Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts
The Spiced Freekeh with Minced Beef & Nuts is a very special dish that is both super heathy AND totally satisfies our rich Middle Eastern food taste. With very similar flavours, colours & textures to traditional ‘Rice with Khalta’, this freekeh is nutritious, cooked with one tablespoon of olive oil only, and does not need […]
Light Chicken Fatta
This Chicken Fatta is a great crowd pleaser, much lighter than regular Fatta recipes, and super easy to cook. All you need is a pre-cooked boiled chicken and broth. Check out our recipe for the Most Aromatic Chicken Stock. This recipe is also useful in Ramadan, since you are often left with cooked chicken from all […]
Guiltless Eggplant & Minced Beef Fatta
This is everyone’s favorite Eggplant Fatta with yoghurt, only lighter than the traditional recipes and guilt-free. Easy to prepare and the flavours are simply divine. It is a great crowd pleaser in family dinners and especially in Ramadan over Iftar. You will need to double the quantity for a bigger gathering. This Fatta is a […]