Eggplant Upside-Down Fatta
By shahdan • September 23, 2015
Eggplants, yoghurt, garlic and golden crispy bread are just a match made in heaven. Every eggplant lover has to try this recipe – it might seem like a salad since it is not served hot, but the garlicky tomato sauce begs to differ.
- 1 kg eggplant (3-4 pieces - cut in cubes) - باذنجان رومي
- 1/2 cup olive oil (for roasting eggplants, bread and garlic for sauce) - زيت زيتون
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper - فلفل أسود
- 3 baladi bread (cut in medium squares) - خبز بلدي/ مصري
- 850 gram yoghurt (about 8 small yoghurt cups) - زبادي
- 2 tablespoon tahini - طحينة
- 2 teaspoon salt - ملح
- 15-17 garlic cloves (minced for yoghurt and for sauce) - فصوص ثوم
- 4 tomatoes (peeled and blended into juice) - طماطم
- 2 tablespoon vinegar - خل
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional) - معجون طماطم / صلصة طماطم
- 1 handful pine nuts (optional - OR sliced almonds OR raw cashews) - صنوبر
Step by step
- Preheat oven to 180C and line two baking trays with foil or parchment.
- Drizzle the cubed eggplants with 2 tablespoons olive oil and pepper then spread them on the baking tray and place in the middle of the oven. Make sure you toss the cubes around at least a couple of times during cooking. It should be cooked through by 45-50 minutes - make sure you can squeeze it.
- Drizzle the baladi squares with 2 tablespoons olive oil and spread on baking tray and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden and crisp. If you can't place both trays next to each other, then put the bread in the upper shelf and make sure to toss it at least once.
- Mix the yoghurt with the tahini, salt and about 10 to 12 cloves of minced garlic. Set aside.
- Use two table spoons olive oil to fry the remaining mixed garlic (around 5 cloves). Before it turns brown, add the vinegar then the juice of 4 tomatoes, the paste, salt and pepper and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. It should get a bit darker and thicker.
- Once all components are ready, let them cool for 10 minutes before you start layering. Fold the cooled eggplant cubes into the yoghurt mix making sure it is entirely coated.
- Place the eggplant yoghurt in the serving dish, followed by the tomato sauce then half of the crispy bread. The rest can be served in a side dish for additions.
- Toast some pine nuts (here I used cashews) and sprinkle it on top.
Kitchari is India's detox meal. The classic recipe is cooked with rice. In this recipe, rice is...
Easy Shrimp Stir-Fry
This is a very easy dinner party dish that will wow your guests. It is also loaded with healthy...
Fatta – Made Simple & Delicious
If you ever want to enter the world of Fatta, this is the recipe for you. It is simple and...
This Moussaka is irresistibly delicious, without the extra calories. The eggplants are oven-roasted not fried. This doesn’t take away from the taste, on the contrary, the eggplants are more flavourful and rich here. Because cooking moussaka is a lengthy process with many different components, I like to shortcut my way to this delicious dish using […]
Quick Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs
When you need a quick and delicious vegetable dish, the Spinach with Tomatoes & Herbs hits the mark. Most ingredients are home staples and easy to prepare. It is also super nutritious, filling and can easily be part of your healthy diet. The red onion can easily be swapped for yellow onion. The herbs are […]
Black-Eyed Peas Stew
Sometimes the simplest food is the most delicious. This Black-Eyed Peas Stew is a favourite family recipe to be served with white rice or vermicelli rice. I love to add red bell pepper to the traditional recipe because it gives the stew natural sweetness without the need to add sugar to the tomato sauce. A handful of […]
Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi
An Egyptian classic with a nutritious modern twist is the best way to describe Quinoa Mahshi Mesh Mahshi. It carries all the Mahshi Mesh Mahshi goodness, cooked with the gluten-free, high-protein, iron- & fiber-rich quinoa! The flavours in this wholesome dish are simply those of a typical Egyptian Mahshi pot with all its fragrant greens and colorful […]